Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i might have posted in the wrong forum before but i am still learning i just built a computer with a asus p5ld2. i plugged in my cd-rom drive into the blue ide plug(because the manual sad that was the only one that works with cd-roms) and i made my sata my main hdd with windows. i wanted to put on a second hdd but the only availible plug are 2 red ones. i wondered if it was different from the blue one. i read the manual and it told me to put a software thing into a blank floppy and etc. i was wondering how i make the red ide plugs work because i dont know how to install the software from the floppy or which software to put onto the floppy since there is like 5 of them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Why don't you just put the hard drive as master and the cd rom as slave on the same cable? Also, if your main HDD is SATA, do you already have the OS installed? If so, all you need to do is install the drivers for those "red ide ports" from the motherboard installation CD.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
This is the easy and correct way to plug things in. The IDE cable probably has three connectors. One is blue, it connects to the motherboard. The second on is grey, which connects to a slave device (HDD, CD/DVD). and the third is a master (HDD, CD/DVD). The red connectors are for SATA devices and the cable can go either way since only one device can plug into it.

I've found this to work best if using only IDE devices:
IDE Channel 1: HDD on master end of cable.
IDE Channel 2: CD/DVD on master end of cable.

This works for SATA:
SATA 1: HDD
SATA 2: CD/DVD (hard to find but do exist)

This is for using both IDE and SATA:
IDE Channel 1: CD/DVD on master end of cable.
SATA 1: HDD

When using an HDD on the SATA connection you'll need drivers to tell Windows where the drive is, those should be included with the motherboard. If not you'll need a blank FDD and the driver files. If the disk is formatted then just copy the files onto it and insert it when the OS installer asks for it. You don't need for format the disk for boot use.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Make sure in your bios that the ITE controller is set to IDE Mode then your red plugs will run as standard IDE. The ITE controller should be in the advanced area of your bios. :sayyes:
Note: If you are not going to use SATA RAID you can also in the bios have the SATA run as standard ide Should be in the main section of you bios under IDE configuration. By doing this then you donot have to load the raid drivers when installing windows.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have two cd rom drives, so that doesnt work. Im having trouble with which drive to put on the floppy and when to install it. do i put a windows cd into the cd-rom drive and install it when it asks for raid or sata? do i need to format anything else? im confused lol

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I have a DVD ROM (slave) and A CDRW (master) attached to the blue connector ,an 80gig SATA as boot SATA1 and a 80gig ata attached to the red Ide 0 with no raid drivers installed.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
kidam12 said:
i have two cd rom drives, so that doesnt work. Im having trouble with which drive to put on the floppy and when to install it. do i put a windows cd into the cd-rom drive and install it when it asks for raid or sata? do i need to format anything else? im confused lol
It's fine to have multiple optical drives. My PC at home has a DVD-RW and a CD-RW on one cable. You insert the floppy just after the OS installer begins. It's ask you to press F6 if you have any SATA or SCSI drivers you need to install. If the drive you're installing to has not been formatted then you'll have the option to do so during the installation.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wait im confused. i put the ite driver onto a floppy, and pressed f6 when it asked me too. i installed the driver. when it asked me to install OS i didnt see my ide hdd.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
You should have received the following with the mobo...

5 x SATA data cables
2 x SATA power cables (dual plugs)
1 x SATA power cable (single plug)
2 x Ultra DMA/133 cables
1 x 40-conductor IDE cable

1 x Floppy disk drive cable

The 40-conductor IDE cable is the one that is used for the CD-rom drive on the mobo blue socket IDE channel. Use this for older (slower) hard drives, and optical drives.

The 2 Ultra DMA/133 cables are for the mobo's 2 red socket IDE channels. Newer hard drives that have ATA133, or ATA100 labels must be attached to these IDE sockets for proprer operation. The red socket nearest to the edge of the card is the primary EIDE channel.

Since you already have windows installed on a sata drive you can just go into windows and use the mobo CD to install the ITE 8211 IDE driver.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
re: user manual: 4.3.4 Primary, 3rd & 4th IDE Master/slave

Does the BIOS display the correct info about the hard drive?

·
retired
1,966 Posts
IDE hard drive on end connector of data cable, and cable plugged into red socket closest to edge of board.

Go into BIOS and set/verify the following, then save and exit bios. Restart and go into BIOS to verify these lines display the correct info about the drives connected.

4.3 Main menu
{highlight these lines and press enter}

Primary IDE Master : [displays name of your CDrom drive]
type: CDROM

Third IDE Master : [displays name of your hard drive]
Type: AUTO

4.4.6 Onboard Devices Configuration
ITE8211F Controller: IDE Mode

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bad performance with PATA HDDs ??

Stu_computer said:
IDE hard drive on end connector of data cable, and cable plugged into red socket closest to edge of board.

Go into BIOS and set/verify the following, then save and exit bios. Restart and go into BIOS to verify these lines display the correct info about the drives connected.

4.3 Main menu
{highlight these lines and press enter}

Primary IDE Master : [displays name of your CDrom drive]
type: CDROM

Third IDE Master : [displays name of your hard drive]
Type: AUTO

4.4.6 Onboard Devices Configuration
ITE8211F Controller: IDE Mode
I have four PATA-drives (in the red plugs) (non-raid) and none of them turns up in the menu you mention above. I cant see them in bios at all as far as i know. (But they are detected during POST)
I see the CDROM though.
I dont have any SATA disks.

I see them in XP but the thing is that I see that the programs start very slow (starting, for the first time after boot, photoshop CS2 in ~20secs, (end time when I see the tip of the day dialogue)) compared to my old computer (~7secs)

In device manager they show up as SCSI disks.
3dMark06 and games works good with no trouble as far as i know.

But why are the PATA HDDs so slow starting programs and dont show in bios?

I found this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16813131538
Quote:
Pros: Works great with SATA drives, good solid board under those circumstances.

Cons: If you want to use EIDE drives on this board, forget it! You can use them, but the board really doesn't like it (boot time 3:51 with EIDE attached) and they must be on the RAID controller. The board only has 1 EIDE controller and you'll need that for the CD-ROMs. It has 2 RAID EIDE controllers which can be used for OS drives or secondary drives, but the board really doesn't like you if you try it. I had to shed my EIDEs and buy 2 SATAs to make this board happy.

I have checked enhanced mode and tried to find something else in bios and updated drivers in windows. But i am not sure i am using the right drivers, maybe XP made some mistake or are the above commentary correct?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.