Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I recently purchased a new computer from Dell (Dell XPS 420 Desktop). It came with Pre-Loaded Genuine Windows Vista(R) Home Premium OEM Version.

So far I really like the system, but I am having recurring problems loading some specific websites. Other people using my internet connection don't have any problems with these websites, so I'm assuming that these problems are being caused by my computer. Also, the reason I find this so weird is that they are very standard websites... for example:

CNN International Edition (http://edition.cnn.com/) - sometimes loads properly, sometimes loads without pictures, a whole lot of white space and text all skewed over the page.
Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com) - same as CNN
and others.

I have the same problems with World of Warcraft Insider (www.wowinsider.com), though sometimes IE simply says it just can't find the website at all (no matter how much I click refresh).

I've only managed to load the Adobe website properly once. I had a lot of difficulties downloading the latest Flash and iTunes... the popup for the downloads just wouldn't load. One day they just randomly worked (although I still have a lot of difficulties purchasing songs on iTunes.

The thing that is frustrating is that I'm only having these problems with specific websites (these and some others) and that these websites are the ones I use most often. Websites like google load every time without a problem. I've searched the net and I can't find anything on this specific sort of problem.

As an example the WoWinsider website sometimes loads properly but other times loads like this: http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/3917/examplepicwy4.jpg. And then at other times it won't load at all.

Is anyone able to suggest a fix? I realise the query is kind of vague, so I'm happy to provide more information if that would help.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,

I downloaded Firefox when I first got the computer but I have exactly the same problems on Firefox. The same websites load (or fail to) with the same problems.

My computer came wiht McAfee SecurityCentre. I haven't played with the security settings on the computer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not an expert on this site - but was experiencing the exact same problem. I ran a number of fixes (Spybot, Adaware, Vundo Removal, and Virtumundobegone) - and none of these found anything wrong.

However - I installed the vista updates and upon restart the Vista 'malicious virus removal tool' found a variant of the Vundo Trojan. When this was removed - the problem was resolved.

Hope this helps!:grin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Biago. I've fully updated my Vista but the problem persists. Where abouts can I find the malicious virus removal tool? I'd be fairly suprised if there was a virus on the computer already as it's very new and I've experienced these problems since first connecting to the internet. But worth checking I guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a thought but try turning off your AV and Firewall program just for a few seconds to try the websites then of course whatever the outcome turn it back on.

If it works when you turned it off then at least you have an Idea where to start fixing this problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.