Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEC Versa2400 laptop PentI (100) 1G HDD
Was running Win 98.
Have to use a boot disk. some data on floppies (only progs) no OS data specifically backed up.
W/ boot disk, at DOS prompt, NO Windows directory.

/Q Is there any hope to recover data? Any possibility?
please advise.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Recovery of what? It's impossible to know what is corrupted, or even what happened from the description. I know that if I could see anything on the disk, I'd start by backing up any important files. :rolleyes:

It sounds like you will be re-installing the O/S, if that's what you mean.

·
Registered
336 Posts
if you don't find another fix you might try installing the OS on top of itself without reformatting... you could backup any data and then do a clean install of the OS.

1GB HD....is it full?

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
x5dr said:
if you don't find another fix you might try installing the OS on top of itself without reformatting... you could backup any data and then do a clean install of the OS.

1GB HD....is it full?
Since the \WINDOWS directory is totally missing, do you really think there's an O/S left to install on top of? :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can allmost allways recover data if you need it bad enough. A few grand and a few days at one of the data restauration houses. I used IBAS last time. (about 3 grand...) but that was caused by an idiot at my former company that opened the drive. They had to take it apart, wash the disks and read bit by bit and restore all files. I lost a few non important files but 3 years worth of test data was saved :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.