Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asus 8N SLI Deluxe on Win XP
I have deleted and recreated a 2 sata disk Raid 0 array using the bios Silicon Image Raid. I would like to restore Windows XP to a working condition.
No hardware problem, and I believe that no data on the two drives has been lost or written to, just the raid setup has been changed.

Can anyone with similar experience advise the best route to getting Win XP back up and running? :smile:

Thanks
John

More Background
1. I used Raid 0 because that was the way the pc builder set it up "for speed" and from experience I believe it is faster
2. After four or more years I became concerned that one of the hard drives would die - and not understanding RAID I considered moving to a single disk.
I backed up email, documents pics and bought a large new internal sata drive (750GB) and plugged it in. Then came the problem. I had nudged one of the two sata drives power out - and I spent the next 30 min trying to figure out what happened. In the process deleting the existing raid configuration (but I believe not the data). I finally realised power was out to one of Raid 0 drives, plugged it back in, unplugged 750GB drive and created raid 0 set.
I then unplugged two raid 0 drives and rebuilt Win XP on the 750GB.
3. Reading to date suggests that just the initial master boot record has been affected

FAQ
Do I understand Raid 0?
Roughly. From what I have read I believe that only the MBR will have been affected by my actions - so thought possible to recover.

Why am I concerned about recovering original raid array if I backed up data?
Whilst I have all important docs and wedding pics, I did not have a full image of pc (I now have purchased Acronis and make full image backups) - and didn't realise how much I would miss bits and pieces installed and tweaked over several years - firefox passwords - drivers, etc. etc. - and I am rather keen to try and recover original installation.

What actions have I taken so far - and what am I planning to try?
Haven't done anything yet - still reading - these are the only options I am considering at present.

1. Slipstream SIL raid drivers on to my original WinXP disk and try and run the recovery console. I have read that running fixmbr or bootcfg /rebuild may suffice
2. Try 1 or 2 commercial Raid Recovery softwares to see if I can get some of the data off - no a preferred option as this does not recover all the application specific settings etc.
3. Live with the mistake. Rebuild all software over a month - and hope to get drivers all working. Run Acronis regularly to do full disk backups.

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
IF the OS is intact, then the Raid drivers are there still. The Raid structure rebuild shouldn't have changed any software.

Have you just tried booting with the Raid 0 set in place as originally?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for delay in replying - have had the flu.
Reboot does not recognise raid drives as bootable.

I trialled a couple of "raid reconstructor" softwares and it appears that they can "see" all of the files - so I am assuming that it is just the boot sector information that has been rewritten.

Strategy
Can't yet boot to windows recovery console as failed using nLite to slipstream SIL 3114 drivers to original XP disk. Waiting on a floppy drive to try F6.
If Recovery Console does not work (FIXMBR?) then thinking at this point is to destripe to a single drive and then use some form of MBR recovery tool to restore MBR as restoring MBR across two drives sounds trickier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have the same motherboard and it was damaged. I am trying to recover the data on the Raid 0 array that is still intact. I thought I could build another system activate Raid and just connect the drives to retrieve the data! I know Wrong!

Is there a way to connect these drives without the A8N Sli Deluxe and Silicon Image 3114R Raid Controller to retrive the data?

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.