Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was not able to install windows XP Pro as an upgrade so I have decided to format my system. I have a dell Inspiron 9300 and the thing is that I have a partition on my hard drive that is used to reformat. Should I use that and then install XP Pro as an upgrade, or format the entire disk and install Pro from scratch? :4-dontkno

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If I were you I would just install XP Pro from the CD. If you go this route, though, make sure that:

1. You have a GENUINE WINDOWS CD from a past version of Windows. Since you have only an upgrade CD you will need an old version of Windows to prove that you qualify for an upgrade. If you don't have an old Windows CD, use the partition first and then upgrade.

2. Make sure you can download the drivers. If you can't download or find all of the necessary drivers then use the partition first and then upgrade.

If you can say that both of the above apply to you just go ahead and clean install XP Pro and then load the drivers on after install. You'll also need your XP Pro Upgrade product key so you can activate Windows.

BMR777

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Yes, but there are two versions, a FULL version XP and an UPGRADE version of XP. Both can be used to do a clean install, however the UPGRADE version requires you to prove that you are eligible, so if you do a clean install it will FORCE you to provide it with an old version of Windows CD. When you bought it there were two options, the expensive one and the cheaper one. If you bought the cheaper one you will need an old Windows CD or the install will fail.

BMR777

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.