Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to do a recovery on my desktop which has windows 98. I've done it years ago and had no problems. I tried it again, but now the recovery disk only installs halfway then stops :sayno: . Now when I reboot the desktop it says Invalid system disk. Replace the disk and then press any key. Not sure why the recovery disk will only go so far and then why I get the invalid system disc :4-dontkno error. This is the disk that came with the desktop.

·
1,438 Posts
Do you have another computer you can use to explore this recovery disk?

Check it and see what it contains (try properties, how much of the disk is used,)
These recovery disks tend to fall into two catagories.
One the disk only contains a small utility similar to norton ghost which accesses a hidden image file on your hard drive. If the hard drive is damaged or something altered the file, then it cannot restore things.
The other includes not only the software but also a .img or .gho or similar file, generally around 650MB in size.
The final variant , contains an actual windows installer and has a setup.exe file and a win98 (or win95 as the case may be) folder and a number of other folders with drivers in them.
Please let us know what type of recovery disk you have.

Also is the disk damaged (scratched) in any way?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.