Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I downgraded a laptop which was made with Vista pre-installed to XP for gaming purposes, hence deleting the whole of C drive, wiping everything (including the HP Recovery Console) off it. So now when I start up, pressing F11 does nothing, so I cant access the Recovery Console. But I still have D drive which is a recovery drive that contains the factory settings and everything I need to recover the laptop if something went wrong. The only way I can think of to use D drive to re-install Vista is by booting it up, and to do this I need to mark the D partition as active if Im correct, yet when I try to do so the option in the drop down menu is greyed out. Im not even sure if Im doing everything right, but I would think its possible to boot up the recovery drive (D:), then install Vista, wiping everything off C drive and replacing it.. if any of that makes sense

Anyone know where Ive gone wrong??

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Why are you double posting? If you made recovery discs like we suggested in your other post, then boot of of that and it will access your recovery partition unless you formatted that too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The other post was a different problem, I couldnt access the Recovery Drive, I dont know how to make a disc, I have a Vista Recovery Disc, booted it up, but it didnt really do anything :S The recovery partition hasnt been formatted, it has all the factory files and Vista that was on the laptop at first

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Ok, then why are you posting a Vista problem in an XP forum? All right, if you have a Vista DVD, boot into the Bios and set your boot order to boot from DVD drive first (You need a DVD drive to access the Vista DVD) Boot off of the DVD and choose to Repair computer. Vista will try to fix the computer, If that fails, it will give you the option to do a System Restore, Repair install or go to the Recovery Console.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.