Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running XP Pro (SP1). Recently I installed SP2 and had many problems. Working with Microsoft techs (went thru 2 of them) trying to get SP2 to run as advertised, we came to the conclusion that we should uninstall it. So I did according to their directions. They quit responding to my e-mails after that. Seemed that all worked ok except for Nortons Security Programs. Tried to uninstall it and reinstall it to no avail. Finally deleted all files related to Nortons and/or Symantec. All worked okay excep for the fact that the wallpaper would change after the desktop loaded. Found that something was calling a process named SETHC. Renamed it and that problem is gone. Now when I try to run a proram named Money Counts (Parson Technologies) ,that originally ran okay under SP1 before all this started, I get a window titled "16Bit Windows Subsystem" with the message "C;\Progra~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL An installable Vertual Divice Driver failed initialization" with two buttons "Close" and "Ignore". When this first started clicking on the "Ignore" button would allow the program to work normally. Now it will allow only the welcome screen come up and then the program closes.

Since this has all happened within two months of trial and error I am at a loss to say what cause what. Doesn't matter I just would like to get it fixed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would reinstall the said drivers. It sounds like removing SP2 has removed the drivers for this program.

You can also try running the command SFC /scannow since you have removed a service pack.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.