Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two HP Compaq d220's that I am trying to recover. I have the 3 discs that came with the computer to do a recovery and I used them. I got through the whole recovery and then did the computer's setup. Once I get to the desktop a screen pops up and tells me that the computer is installing software and that I shouldn't turn off or unplug the computer and there is a progress bar. I did this on the first computer and left it to install the software overnight. The next day the progress bar was in the same spot. So I did what it said not to do and I turned it off. I turned the computer on and it booted up like normal and got to the desktop and then the same screen popped up and the progress bar never changed again. I thought maybe it was that specific computer so I did the recovery on the next one and I have the same problem. I'm not able to do anything when this screen comes up and it doesn't appear to be installing any software. Does anyone know what to do?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If you can get to the desktop then it looks like Windows was restored ok, however HP's setup may be trying to install additional software or drivers onto the PC but fails for some reason.

Can you press the ALT and F4 keys together to stop the software install and return to the desktop? Does CTRL-ALT-DEL bring up task manager? Let me know and I'll see if I can help.

BMR777

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I tried to hit Alt+F4 and it wouldn't work right away. I pushed it several times and nothing happened. So I then tried Ctrl+Alt+Del and it was like the task manager was trying to pop up but it wouldn't stay. It was sort of flashing. So then I tried Alt+F4 and it closed the screen. So I'm happy that I can get the screen to go away, but it comes back up each time I restart. How do I get it to go away completely? Also, I was in the control panel at one point, under add/remove programs and it shows that I only have one program installed-Intel Graphics or something like that. I have icons for other things and programs that show up in all programs, but not in the add/remove. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Get to where you can see the desktop and start bar. Then go to Start > Run and type "msconfig" w/o quotes and go to the startup tab and then let me know what you see there. If you see anything that mentions HP you can try unchecking the box and restarting and let me know if that stops the updater.

Also, if you go to Start > Run > type "regedit" w/o quotes that will bring up the Registry Editor. This contains the guts of Windows. Ordinarily I would not recommend editing the registry, but since this is a new install that isn't working right there's nothing to lose if something gets messed up, you would just restore again.

Expand the folders on the side to go to the following path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ and click on the RunOnce folder.

Then look on the right for any values. You should only see one named "Default". If you see any others besides Default then right click on them and select "Delete". These are programs that are supposed to run only once when the PC is started, but your setup program appears to run every time, probably because the settings that it ran are never saved. Also, try the same thing with:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\. Click on the RunOnce folder again and do the same.

Also go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ RunOnce and click on the Setup folder underneath the RunOnce folder and do the same.

By doing all this you will check all of the places this setup program would most likely be started from and you would disable its startup. If this works then you should set up the PC manually, downloading drivers and Windows Updates as well as installing AntiVirus and AntiSpyware software.

Let me know if this works for you at all.
BMR777

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, under the msconfig and startup tab it says:

Startup Item Command
fbism c:\system.sav\fbi\fbis.exe
igfxtray C:\Windows\System32\igfxtray.exe
hkcmd C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe
msmsgs "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background

Location for all of them is:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Then under regedit under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE there is only the default one. Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER there isn't a Run Once option, just one that says Run. That has the default and also ont that says MSMSGS-I deleted this one.

For the final one you said to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ RunOnce and click on the Setup folder underneath the RunOnce folder and do the same.
But Run Once doesn't expand to anything. A few spots down there is a setup-but it expands to other options and if I click on setup-it shows several things to the right.

So basically, that's everything I see and I'm not that I did it right.The screen did come up again after restarting.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Ok, the registry folders don't always exist. The only thing you deleted was the MSN Messenger so it won't autostart, no biggie.

In MSCONFIG on the startup tab uncheck the box for this option:
fbism c:\system.sav\fbi\fbis.exe

That should kill the installer for the HP / Compaq software. When prompted to restart do so and when you reboot the installer should not load up. You may see a box with the system configuration utility and a checkbox when you reboot, just hit the checkbox and then ok to prevent it from appearing again.

Let me know how it works.
BMR777

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It worked!! Thank you so, so much. You said earlier that I may have to intall drivers and windows updates manually..is that still the case?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I seem to be having the exact same problem. It is happening on multiple HP D220 machines...rarely a machine will get restored and NOT freeze (seems to happen at about 10 bars into the progress bar every time.) I can get the progress page to close (alt F4, ctrl alt delete over and over and over until it goes away) however the only thing Im left with is a blank desktop. Its like explorer never gets started. I cant get a task manager window or anything at all. No start bar, no icons, no task manager pops up...nothing. Is there any way around this? This has happened on about 10 machines and I dont know why. I cant tell if its the disk, the HDs, or just plain bad luck. Any help?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.