Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK
So I had a failure of a 80 GB Seagate hard drive, and I used RecoverMyFiles to salvage what I could from it, to a different hard drive. Before I used RecMyFiles reloaded WinXP Pro on a 3rd hard drive and removed the original WinXP/System hard drive, just so I could start with a fresh WinXP install. Many of the files are viewable as previews in RecMyFiles, but after they are recovered they won't open .... anywhere. Not Microsoft Image and Fax viewer, not Paint, haven't tried anything else yet..... Some of the previews show corrupted pictures with smudges or artifacts, so I know some of them are completely shot, but what about the rest?
Does anybody have any ideas? (Besides "Hey DumbA$$, you should have backed up your files!" I know, I know.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
are you not able to just view these files directly off your old drive? if you can view them in an editor then you could copy it to a new editor window and then save the file to your healthy harddrive > not sure what else you can do it sounds like its missing little bytes on the image which curupts it when copying over. can't think of any other advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing is "viewable" off the hard drive- it's BAD BAD BAD. The preview worked in the RecMyFiles. It is when I try to open them from the good drive after the software recovered it and saved it there that they become unopenable. I was kind of hoping that there might be some software available to automatically or manually edit the file itslef.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Have you checked out the recovered files' properties to see what file format they are? What file format does RecMyFiles save your recovered files in? If it's a proprietary file format you might have to install RecMyFiles on the new system to view them, then open them and save as jpeg files.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.