Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Need some help, there any ways to recover data from a formatted drive? I tried so many software recovery and deep scans but there is nothing has been found in scanning. Any of you are experiencing this, hope you share with me how to solve it.

Thanks a lot, guys, you guys are awesome!

·
Global Moderator
Knowing how to use Google to solve problems
42,514 Posts
There are no totally Free Software Data recovery programs. Most allow you to download and scan for free but require you to pay for them when trying to recover the data to a secondary drive. Except for TestDisk which is not very user friendly but is totally free. I have had the best luck with https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm Most of these programs work about the same way, so if you have tried "many" then the data is not recoverable with just software, you would need to send it to a Data Recovery Center, which is very expensive and most people can't afford this option.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hello,

The short answer is point blank there was no way to recover data on a drive that has been formatted Let alone free or inexpensive methods.

I went through a similar but worse situation last year in June. I broke my own cardinal rules as a tech to never work on any machines when you are either upset or tired let alone both. In June 2020 I lost my mom suddenly. She was 85 years old suffering from moderate dementia had heart issues but seem to be doing OK for a woman that would’ve been 86 years old in just two months at that point. We had just gotten her set up in my brothers apartment that they had been sharing with a live in caretaker that weekend. Two days later, Tuesday, June 2, 2020 her caretaker went into her bedroom and found her face down on the bed with her arms hanging off the bed apparently she had had a heart attack we believe and passed away in his head suddenly without warning. The whole family came together and we did what we had to with calling the authorities to get it documented and calling the funeral home. Later that day I went back to my own apartment five minutes away and I felt I needed a distraction so I decided to go ahead and make a emergency back up clone of my operating system drive. I use a external USB connected internal hard drive as the repository for the clone. Being both upset and tired I forgot to plug in the USB cable that was connected to the now external internal drive (the driveway speaker was the original hard drive from my laptop that I had replaced with a new SSD drive of 1 TB). My laptop has two internal drives one I keep separate for only my data and the other is my operating system drive with all my programs. By accidentally not logging in the external drive that would be receiving the clone I accidentally overwrote every bit of my data on my second one terabyte internal hard drive. I contacted Acronis Support and what I suspected as a tech to be nothing more than them confirming that once the drive is formatted and or overwritten or both that data is permanently gone which it was. Let my lesson be a lesson to everybody don’t break the cardinal rules of working on any computers while you are upset or tired or both. I was lucky that I had back up data it wasn’t as recent but it was better than it being completely gone what I lost I don’t know but I considered it’s negligible and a lesson learned and getting upset about it it’s not gonna bring it back.

Sorry for the long explanation but I still miss Mom and when I think about it it just all comes back to me being too real.

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

·
Global Moderator
Knowing how to use Google to solve problems
42,514 Posts
there was no way to recover data on a drive that has been formatted
This is only true if data has be overwritten on the Formatted drive. If you accidentally Format a drive, you can still recover the files, with Data Recovery software, as long as it is not been overwritten.
Data Recovery software enables you to retrieve your data very easily as long as you don’t make any change to the formatted hard drive.
It’s impossible to recover the data in a formatted hard drive with newly written data.

·
Global Moderator
51,596 Posts
I can only refer you to my signature thoughts...

Any data you don't have at least two copies of is data you don't care about!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts