Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I may be in the market for a new mobo. Here's my dilemma. My PC powered down and quit working. Since I live outside of Houston and it went down during the storm, I had other things on my mind. :) When I try and power back up, I get one beep, and then it shuts down. My friend who was using it said it just shut off on him. I thought over heating and think I _may_ be right.

After reading some of the other posts about no POST, I opened the case to start unplugging devices. That's when I discovered that the chassis fan jumper was not plugged in and my CPU fan, CoolerMaster Jet 4, had broken free of the CPU. Upon further inspection, I found that one of the holes that the supplied clamps attach to was broken off. My gf said my dog was in here and almost pulled down my entire desk full of stuff so not sure if and impact with a Lab pup would cause it to break or the fact that the fan is so heavy.

I doubt there is any way to repair this board, I am sure it is past the warranty period. Is the fan too heavy for any given mobo? Or did I just get a cheapy. MSI PT880.

So, without starting a holy war, I am looking for recommendations. My current CPU is a Intel Pentium 4 3.2E Prescott 800MHz FSB Socket 478 Processor. Also, if the fan is too heavy, looking for a recommendation there as well.

Thanks a bunch,

Shawn

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello Shawn / Welcome to TSF:

The after market CPU coolers while much more efficient and usually quiter tend to have a trade off !! yep >>> weight which translates to you cant really bump or jostle a puter with the heavy weight version of the after market cooler

my reccommendation is to get another mobo and try to set it up where the lab wont bump it again / the good news is your should be able to re-use all other components so the boo-boo shouldnt hurt too bad. about $100.00 / the cpu has heat protection so USUALLY your cpu will be spared a funeral. Make sure to get some artic silver 5 thermal paste to reinstall the cpu to new mobo / also are the heat sink attachment hardware ok ????? or did the clamp break off that too ?????? you may get lucky and be able to get the mobo repaired but that wont be free / they are not lab proof >> I have two chocolates so I know what they can do >> HAVOK [email protected]#$%^&*()_

Look on ebay is my advice or newegg.com you could get the same model if you were happy with the performance ????? if you want to swap manufacturers or even model numbers when you get reassembled the hard drive is not going to just boot into windows as the mobo chipset will be different.

there are ways to combat that too / just let us know what you deceide ???

regards

joe

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joe,

I might look for something with a little more performance. My other components are:

2 WD Raptors
2 CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Sticks
1 BFG GeForce™ 6800 Ultra OC™ graphics card

Looking for game performance and some Photoshop speed as well.

Thanks again for the response!

Shawn

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoops! Realized I didn't answer all of you questions:

--snip--
Make sure to get some artic silver 5 thermal paste to reinstall the cpu to new mobo / also are the heat sink attachment hardware ok ????? or did the clamp break off that too ??????

--snip--

I have some paste...somewhere, and the clamps themselves are fine.

--snip--

Look on ebay is my advice or newegg.com you could get the same model if you were happy with the performance ?????

--snip--

I've been looking on Newegg and it appears that the 478 is obsolete??? Not sure, though. they don't appear to have a whole lot of 478 socket mobo's. I'll check ebay, though. If I have to upgrade, what socket set is the most future proof? If I have to go that route.

Thanks again,

Shawn

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Shawn:

The socket 478 isnt really obsolete / its just not last minute release / newegg.com is more likely to stock the latest and greatest

just remember the closer you get to the latest and greatest the more $$$$$ youre going to spend and most likely youre not going to get the performance increase you would expect for the $$$$ drain

I would have to say the intel socket 775 is more current / than the 478 / although you would be forced to buy another CPU and a socket 775 3.2 ghz is not going to do anything faster in a real world application than is the 478 pin.

The only thing I will warn you about is the closer you get to the latest and greatest the more componets you will have to upgrade / such as DDR2 memory (its not better either) and PCI express mobo which dont have an AGP slot for your video card :(

my advice to you would be ebay = look for asus P4C800-E deluxe or the MSI board described above or Abit makes a good 478 scoket board VT7

dont hesitate to askk more questions

regards

joe

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys,

Did another query on Newegg and got a bunch more options. I think I'll stick with the 478, not a big fan of early adoption for the reasons you've listed, Joe. So, I'll check out the Asus and others that you and Keymaker were kind enough to recommend.

I'll post my success, or demise, when I'm done.

Thanks a bunch!!

Shawn

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mobo swap (was recommendations)

OK,

It's been a LONG while and a lot has happend. The long and short of it is, I got an Asus mobo off of ebay and I was looking to swap it out, but keep all of my info. Joe you had said below there was a way to keep my current hard drive info?

What needs to take place?

Thanks,

Shawn

linderman said:
Look on ebay is my advice or newegg.com you could get the same model if you were happy with the performance ????? if you want to swap manufacturers or even model numbers when you get reassembled the hard drive is not going to just boot into windows as the mobo chipset will be different.

there are ways to combat that too / just let us know what you deceide ???

regards

joe

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Hi,

If the new mobo is a different model there are two things you can do,

slave your hdd in another computer and get your info off of it then put it in the computer with the new board and format and reinstall windows, I prefer this method

Or you could just install it and do a repair install of windows but you will have to load all the drivers and get all the MS updates but all your personnel data will remain.

Rick

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Rick, I will give this a shot. I think I will have to go with opt. #2 as these drives are SATA and i don't have that interface on my other machines.

I'll let you know how it goes.

thanks again,

Shawn

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Shawn:

follow this:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

you wont lose any programs or data

you will however have to load drivers >>>>. there is not gettign outta that no matter which option you choose

and reload your windows updates too !

regards

joe

PS which board did you get ???????

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Joe, I'll let you know how it goes. I took your suggestion and got the Asus p4c800-e. I have a friend who has an Asus on a machine he built and he's very happy with it.

I'll let you know how the recovery goes.

Shawn

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh yeah. like several months too late! :p getting a Cdr4_xp.sys page fault error. i keep blue screening. any suggestions? trying to soldier on through the windows install so that I can load the cd with the bios updates.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
is this a new Cd-rom drive ?????? the problem is a driver issue >>>> try booting into safe mode or try another older cd-rom drive until you get windows loaded ????

joe

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no, same CDs I had before. I get about 3/4 of the way through the "installing windows" screen where it is installing devices and it craps out.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
ahhhhh what make and size PSU are you using ????? it could very well be your power qaulity is fluctutating enough under the stress of the installation to cause a bsod

if possbile try another PSU

joe

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that may be the case. after getting your last post i noticed that my dvd drive didn't show up and if memory serves me right, i had problems with it last time. So, i ended up unplugging it and went to the gym. Just got back and all is apparently well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.