Tech Support banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a quiet, quality processor fan for an i5-9600K. There's a ton out there and a million of conflicting reviews.

My only requirements are that they work well, have the MB wiring, are quiet and under $30.

I would be happy with a standard Intel fan, but none came with the processor. The ones I'm seeing online have some mixed reviews.

No fancy lights, no liquid, no high profile steroid looks... just a nice quiet fan for standard computing. The computer is likely to run an average of 4 to 6 hours straight per day.

Thanks!

·
Visiting Tech
1,493 Posts
Under $30 may be difficult. If you can increase your budget just a little bit, the
Cooler Master 212 Evo
is decent cooler. I have it this Intel based machine and don't think I have ever heard it. But it is tall so you need to make sure your case will support it (or any upright cooler). And speaking of cases, one of the jobs of the case is to help suppress fan noise too.

·
335 Posts
I can second the venerable Hyper 212 I have installed maybe 50 of them in various systems in the past 6 years and all worked very well. 9600k being an efficient 6c/6t chip will do very well with that cooler

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Hyper 212 is hyper sized! Anything you guys like as much that's is a little less space consuming?

·
Visiting Tech
1,493 Posts
Sorry, I meant to put that in a URL, not a quote. Hyper 212

It is big but small size was not one of your requirements. And there are certainly some that are bigger. One of the reasons it is so large is the 120mm. And it is important to remember large fans are able to move large quantity of air "quietly" and quiet was one of your requirements.

You will be hard pressed to find one this efficient that has a copper base for that price.

What case is this going in?

·
335 Posts
If you wanted a slightly smaller one I would have recommended the Cryorig H7 but it's been overpriced at both Amazon and Newegg as of late. As Bill suggested check your case dimensions see if it could work out for you if not we can come up with some other suggestions. The Hyper 212 Max Height is 159 mm.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I meant to put that in a URL, not a quote. Hyper 212

It is big but small size was not one of your requirements. And there are certainly some that are bigger. One of the reasons it is so large is the 120mm. And it is important to remember large fans are able to move large quantity of air "quietly" and quiet was one of your requirements.

You will be hard pressed to find one this efficient that has a copper base for that price.

What case is this going in?
Going in a Corsair Carbide 100R Midtower.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Intel HSF BXTS15A seems about right on the size and it looks a lot better than what comes with CPUs. I'm not gaming and not overclocking. But the computer will run several hours per day non stop.

Is anyone using this fan? Is it quiet?

What's the consensus? Any warnings on this choice?

·
Visiting Tech
1,493 Posts
Corsair Carbide 100R Midtower.
If you look at the specs for that case here, it says it supports coolers up to 150mm tall. So yeah, the CM Hyper 212 is a bit too tall. :(

Newegg lets you filter by size and sort by price. So here are their 120mm to 150mm coolers.

Reactions: SpareChange
1 - 10 of 10 Posts