Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a network printer.

A few features I was wandering if anybody knows if they are available

A fax machine that would take any incoming faxes and forward them to an email box.

A fax that would allow any user on the network to send a fax from their computer. I understand that the Brother MFC-7820N has this ability?

Any thoughts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Most HP All-In-One network printers (be careful a few of the newer ones leave out FAX capability!!) allow faxing without printing out anything directly over the network from any number of computers connected to the network.

Windows should also have this feature if you have a fax/modem card in the computer, however, this means every machine needs access to the DID/DOD type analog phone line. Usually not the case in most office locations.

As for FAX to e-mail, there are a number of service providers that offer this for a fairly low cost. Just try Googling and you will find quite a few.

Here is an example:

http://www.myfax.com/

You may opt for an online Fax provider as it would eliminate the need for the network Fax capability and may be more flexible if users travel and/or work from home.

JamesO

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was afraid there were no fax machines that could directly turn a fax into an email. I don't understand why that couldn't be done unless the fax machine makers are on the same team as the teleco companies. I have a scanner here that can turn a scan into an email no problem why couldn't that be built into a fax machine. It would receive the fax over the phone line and then turn the existing fax into an email send it out over a smtp connection over the internet to the desired email box.

Oh well thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
796 Posts
You can actually turn a fax console service into an e-mailer. It would email tiff files, but it would work. You would have to write a script though. This would be the cheapest, but certainly not the easiest way to go. Or you can use a faxing service as stated above.

I don't know of any fax machine (cheap one) that sends faxes via e-mail though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Netowork Printer

A heavy duty HP laserjet, or the wonderful Konica Minolta line.
We do thousands of network printers. No cheap printers except the Konica Minolta can handle it... almost trouble free, except you have to order three cartridges. We have had units costing under $00 last for three years.
Also good are Ricoh, Samsung, and Brother.
The name printers of HP, Epson, Canon, and Lexmark are pretty much worthless except for the very expensive HP and Xerox.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.