Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I recently got a Dell monitor (custom PC), and at the same time as installing it I installed a new 550W power supply and did a repair install of windows.

Everything is in order except my video card and monitor are not recognized. I tried deleting and then reinstalling my videocard drivers (ATI Rage 128 Pro), but Catalyst 5.10 told me to install a standard VGA driver for my monitor first. I tried to find a driver off of Dell's website (though I'm aware that monitors don't really *have* drivers, I'm also aware that Dell is odd), but the only one I could find doesn't have install directions for XP.

Being the bold guy that I am, I tried to figure it out myself; desktop--properties--settings--advanced---driver yields: "VgaSave Display Controller" with no options to do anything (update...?) except "stop" and changing the startup option - its currently listed as system. Other attempts to install that driver manually worked out in similar fashion.

So then I turn to microsoft but where they tell me to right click on video adapter (step #2 under "Forcing Windows to Use the Standard VGA Mode Drivers Without Having to Use Safe Mode"), I can't see it in the first place.

I can give you guys more information if you need it, I can't think of anything else that'd be pertinent. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
There should be an .inf for the monitor, If this moniter was reconized before.
Look in Winnt,system32, spool, drivers,color and see if there is a file there that matches you monitor mod no. When it asks for the driver point it there.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't see anything in that folder for my monitor. I don't think I have a WinNT path; I looked in:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color

You said "when it asks for a driver"; I'm assuming you mean when I try to force XP to recognize the monitor? (Just for future reference).

Also, I forgot to mention that when I did the repair install I got a message saying my viaagp1.sys file was missing (even though it is indeed there); that could have a lot to do with the problem, I'm guessing. (I've also received a BSOD faulty driver message; it didn't identify which one but I'm guessing viaagp is the culprit.)

I'll try and repair that problem myself but unfortunately other work calls and I can't spend a lot of time fiddling with things at the moment. If anyone has any more bright ideas I'd love to hear them!

edit: who am I kidding. I DLed some new drivers - Hyperion 4 in 1 (second on list).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, thanks for finding those! Unfortunately I can't install them as they recommend. Their readme includes:

"To manually install or update the driver, perform the following
steps:

1. Click Start-> Control Panel-> and then double-click
Display icon.
2. In the Display Properties window, click the Settings tab, and then
click Advanced.
3. Click the Monitor tab, and then click Properties -> Driver tab ->
Update Driver."

It goes on but that is where I cannot continue: the properties tab is grayed out. I hope there is some way I can install the driver by putting it in the proper directory or something...?

·
Registered
33 Posts
funny the video card isnt working yet it needs the monitor first?
if ya cant recognize the card, how does the card recognize the monitor?
reseat video card?
power problem ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
MSI PT880 Neo

edit: Sorry, didn't see Common's comment.
I wouldn't expect there to be a power problem, I actually suspected that and reattached the power supply (there is a 4 pin connector in addition to the power it pulls from the mobo) but it didn't do anything.

I didn't have to pull the card out of its slot when I did the new power supply, but I suppose a reseat couldn't hurt. I'll get at that later today and report back.

You're right that the problem might be that the videocard needs to be recognized first and thats the problem to be focusing on - I've been assuming that its the other way around because of the Catalyst 5.10 error I've been getting (first post). I could certainly be wrong on that, though....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, that took longer than expected.

A reseat and reconnection of the power connector didn't do anything to solve the problem. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I am assuming that it is an AGP?
1. Msi does not show this vidio card as being compatible.
This ATI Rage 128 Pro is AGP 1.0 compliant 3.3 volts.
and the MOB is AGP 3.0 which is 1.5 volts. If this is the case this video card WILL NOT work on this board.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whoa. Before I installed the PS/monitor everything worked fine, though. Same mobo and videocard. Would the new power supply have caused this problem?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.