Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I consider myself a bit of a power user in the PC world, since I've been building custom PCs for 13 years now. However my latest build has me stumped.

Firstly the stats...

Motherboard: Gigabyte MA78G-DS3H
CPU: Athlon 7750 Black Edition
RAM: 2x1GB Geil DDR2 800MHz

Secondly the problem...

The PC is restarting randomly, regardless of which OS is installed (Linux wouldn't even install, I now have Windows 7 running), so not a software issue. This has been proven to me as I've had the PC restart even when in BIOS once or twice.

I've tried replacing the following parts, with no improvements on the restarts...
PSU, RAM, HDDs.

I've tried bench testing the parts (in case the chassis is cursed). No improvement.

I've then resorted to testing the CPU, by swapping for an Athlon 64 4000+, which seems to run fine (albeit MUCH slower) without restarts. This made me think the CPU is buggered, so I took it back to the retailer. They said they'd check it overnight, but when I went back the next day they insisted it was working fine. I asked if they ran a stress test and the guy said yes (although they way he reacted I think he was lying).

I thought at that point the motherboard might be the fault. Updated BIOS, no improvement. Then bought a second exact same motherboard, still restarts, so I'm sending it back and keeping the first one (it was cheaper).

I've tried extra fans and heatsink compound in case of overheats, still no results. And when I check temps in BIOS, just after a restart it's no higher than 41 degrees.

Now here's the weird part, at this point I got to messing with BIOS settings like voltages and frequencies. I discovered that if I underclock the CPU to it's lowest (1GHz), the restarts are FAR less frequent and if I set it at stock speed it restarts at Windows log-in on cue.

Now I'm thinking it really HAS to be the CPU. But before I make a full blown attempt at getting my money back and getting another one, I thought I'd post here to see what you guys think.

Any comments/suggestions? I'd be interested in anything you have to say. :pray:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No more suggestions then?

Ah well, I guess I'll have to take it back and fight with them to get my money back (the shop doesn't have the best reputation).

For those that have read my post, I'll update once I get a new processor....

:wave:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes and temperatures weren't higher than the average. I've decided I'll have to get a new one and go through the labourious process of trying to get a refund/replacement from my retailer.....now where's that receipt?!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.