Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help me with ideas to fix an intermittent problem.

I have a PC which restarts itself ocasionally without warning. I have the System > Advanced > Restart Automatically unchecked, but don't get a BSOD. I can't see anything that looks helpful in the system error logs (event viewer). (I do have a file windows/minidump/mini*.dmp but I don't know how to make use of it.)

It's a Dell Optiplex GX620 (which has been sitting in its box in a cupboard for a few years and has only just been got out) with Windows XP. It was doing this when I first got it (unpatched for years, obviously) and also now, fully patched with MS Update.

There doesn't seem to be any clear pattern to the reboots except that they happen more frequently when I try to install software.

I've run the Extended Test in the Dell Diagnostics suite in the recovery partition multiple times with no errors (I found a post in another forum suggesting to run the Data Bus Stress Test multiple times to catch the error, but no luck).

The one thing I've noticed is that it only happens when I'm running Kaspersky Internet Security, although this could just be coincidence of course - I've tried both 2009 and 2010 (incidentally, have a 30 day trial while I wait for a key, but this shouldn't be an issue, right?). I've done a full system scan with Kaspersky and it didn't find any malware.

My impression is that Windows, the PC and Kaspersky are all ok on their own, but put together in this combination there's a conflict somewhere... but... now I'm at a loss for what to try next!

Many thanks in advance,
Ben

· Registered
13 Posts
Well reading the minidump file is always a good place to start.

For information on the here's a link to the microsoft page pertaining to these files:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263

Also since you are running a PC thats a couple years old without leaving a box, your drivers will probably not be up to date and occasionally windows updates can cause problems in some devices if the drivers are not up to date.

Oh, and you failed to mention with service pack you are running, I will assume SP3 since you tell us the PC is completely updated.

Good luck!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well nothing useful to me in the dump file - have selected the full dump for next time.

I've updated the drivers via Dell's website and one was labelled Urgent, which I hadn't spotted until just now... so hopefully that's it. Only time will tell!

Many thanks again,
Ben

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.