Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my computer is running win xp prof service pack 2 and got the security centre virus. I ran AVG which found trojan downloader and other problems and after I set it to heal it said it was complete but when I tried to work the computer still had pop ups everywhere and froze. I had to turn off by pressing and holding the power button but then when I try to start up again it loads up to the Windows load page then the screen goes completely black with just the arrow cursor and I can't do anything. Is it hopeless? I'm supposed to be writing essays for uni and am really starting to stress. Please can anyone help?

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Hi tez88, Welcome to TSF! :wave:

Try this...

On the initial power up of the machine, continually tap the F8 Key...this will give you a menu with a listing Last Known Good Configuration; click on it and follow the on-screen prompts.
This will allow you to boot into Windows®.
Once you have it at the desktop, I recommend that you read this article… "Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? - First Steps"; follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information; as instructed, in the HiJackThis Log Help Forum.
(Simply, click on the coloured links to be re-directed.)

Please ensure that you create a new thread in the HiJackThis Log Help Forum; not back here in this one.

When carrying out The 5 Steps, if you cannot complete any of them for whatever reason, just continue on with the next one until they are all completed.
However,it is extremely important to make mention of the fact that you could not complete any of the steps in your post to The HJT Help Forum; where an Analyst will assist you with other workarounds.

Once done, please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can.

Good Luck with it.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi tez88, Welcome to TSF! :wave:

Try this...

On the initial power up of the machine, continually tap the F8 Key...this will give you a menu with a listing Last Known Good Configuration; click on it and follow the on-screen prompts.
This will allow you to boot into Windows®.
Once you have it at the desktop, I recommend that you read this article… "Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? - First Steps"; follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information; as instructed, in the HiJackThis Log Help Forum.
(Simply, click on the coloured links to be re-directed.)

Please ensure that you create a new thread in the HiJackThis Log Help Forum; not back here in this one.

When carrying out The 5 Steps, if you cannot complete any of them for whatever reason, just continue on with the next one until they are all completed.
However,it is extremely important to make mention of the fact that you could not complete any of the steps in your post to The HJT Help Forum; where an Analyst will assist you with other workarounds.

Once done, please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can.

Good Luck with it.

Kind Regards,
Hi thanks for the quick input. I should have mentioned that I already tried the last known good boot, and starting in all the various different safe modes but it will still just give me a black screen albeit with safe mode written in each corner.

·
11,900 Posts
Hi tez,

This contraption is really proving to be a real pest. :grin:

Perhaps trying a "Repair Installation of Windows® XP" might be the answer.

The Windows® XP CD will be required for this procedure.

(In the event that you do not have a Windows® XP CD with SP2, you will need to 'borrow' one from a friend or colleague, as the manufacturer's "Recovery Discs" will not work in this instance.)

Please Note: Performing a 'Repair Installation' in this manner does not delete any Personal Files, it just 'repairs' the core of the installation.

Restart the computer and as soon as it starts to 'fire up' continually tap the Delete Key so that access can be made into the BIOS...once in here, reset the boot order this way...

· CD/DVD
· HDD
· Floppy/Other device
(if you don't have a floppy).

Another key may be required to enter the BIOS please consult your Computer’s Owners Manual (if available).

Insert the Windows® XP SP2 CD in the Drive; then, Save and Exit the BIOS.

Reboot the computer; a screen will appear, that says... Boot from CD.... Press any key to Boot from CD... follow the instruction...it will then progress to a Blue screen and load the basic drivers.

During this procedure, there will be an option to hit F6 to install any third party RAID drivers (if you have any).

A prompt will appear to press r to enter the Recovery Console...PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS, as another option will come up to allow the option to 'Repair' the installation, and select the partition that needs repairing...use this option.

Once that's done, it will continue to load; then, it will want to reboot, so just let it!
The computer will then be returned to the previous "Black Screen" saying Press any key to boot from the CD...this time DON'T...just let it reboot itself and it will then go to the next phase of the 'Repair Installation' where you will need to press F8 to agree to the Licence Agreement.

It is then a matter of following the on-screen prompts, including input of your Product Key, and 'naming' the computer...please ensure that it is the "Original" name and then let Windows® install.

This process will take about 45 minutes...and it will reboot a couple of times, but do not be tempted to hit any key to boot it from the CD, or you'll be back at square one again. :eek:

Just let it do its thing...now when you finally are at the Windows Desktop, power down the computer and re-enter the BIOS and change the Booting order back to its original configuration.

I hope that this will cure your woes. :4-dontkno

Post back with the results, and if there are any other queries/concerns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Dave,
thanks so much! now at least Windows has started but now I've hit another glitch. The icon for my documents and my computer are gone. Also when I slick on the start menu there are no programs, no control panel, nothing except notepad, firefox, and internet connect, and printers and faxes? What now?

·
11,900 Posts
Ok tez88,

Thats just what I expected...

Please try this workaround (you will need your Windows® XP SP2 CD).

(In the event that you do not have a Windows® XP CD with SP2, you will need to 'borrow' one from a friend or colleague, as the manufacturer's "Recovery Discs" will not work in this instance.)

Insert the Windows® XP CD in your drive. (Hold down the Shift Key to prevent it from starting.)

Go Start > Run ...in the box type in sfc /scannow …please take note of the space between the sfc and the /.

This is the System File Checker...it will scan all the Windows® core system files to ensure that they are in their respective correct places, and if not replace them from the CD.

During the scan you may be asked to Insert the CD, if this happens just go retry and let it do its thing.

One important point: While sfc is running, it is not advisable to do any other work, or have any browsers/programs running on the computer, until the scan is complete. (This process will generally take around 45-65 minutes to complete).

Once finished, remove the CD and reboot your machine...all should be "Normal" (hopefully). :grin:

Please post back with the result, or if there are any further queries/concerns.

Kind Regards,

·
11,900 Posts
hi Tez,

To get the Run command, do this...

Right click Start > Properties > Start Menu > Customize > Advanced > scroll down to Run Command and tick the box > Apply > Ok.

Now it should be 'visible' in the Start menu right pane. :grin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Dave,
ok, so I managed to get the run command, yay! but I don't have service pack on disc and I don't know anyone who does, so I tried to download it from Microsoft, but it wouldn't let me because it said that some essential services were turned off (automatic updates, BITS and event log) so I followed the instructions to turn them on and BITS and event logged worked but when I tried to start the Automatic updates it gave me an error 1058 something about either being disabled or not having any enabled devices associated with it. Not sure what to do from here.
Sorry for being such a pain. T

·
11,900 Posts
Tez,
You are not being a pain....its that cantankerous contraption of yours thats the pain. :laugh:

Ok, so lets see if we can get Windows Update working for you...

How to Repair the Windows Update Files.

1. Go Start > Run.
2. In the box type REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL > Enter.
3. A message saying, DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded will appear > OK.
4. Now it is necessary to repeat these steps for each of the following files commands:
Hit Enter after each line

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

Once finished; since the temporary folder of Windows Update may be corrupted, please carry out the following steps to rename the folder:

1. Go Start > Run > in the box type cmd > Enter.

Type the following command in the open panel.

net stop WuAuServ

(Please Note: the computer may need to be rebooted before the net stop command will work.)

2. Go Start > Run > type in the box %windir% > Enter.
3. In the opened folder, rename the folder ( by Right clicking) SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
4. Go Start > Run > type in cmd > Enter. In the open command pane, please type:

net start WuAuServ

Once that’s done, Go Start > All Programs > Windows Updates and see if it will allow the downloading/installation of Windows Updates.

Post back with the results.

Kind Regards,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Dave,
well, I was in the middle of downloading service pack 2 (it somehow magically started downloading) but when that eventually finished my laptop froze anyway. So I restarted it (very very slow) and things were all still very strange but I managed to follow the instructions above regarding the run command. Everything seemed fine, but when I entered net stop WuAuServ it said "the automatic updates service is not started". I've just restarted and thought I'd mention that on restart I keep getting the message "Spoolsv.exe - instruction at 0x776aa5f referenced memory at 0x00000000 memory could not be read" and after that a pop up for a program called Advanced XP defender comes up saying I have threats. Are these things you have heard of before?
thanks so much for continuing to help, T

·
11,900 Posts
Hi Tez,
YES that sounds rather suspicious to me...I'd suggest that you now go back to my Post #2 and follow the instructions.

Good Luck with it.

Kind Regards,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.