Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Realtek HD Audio manager is really starting to aggrivate me. All I want to do is plug a headset and mic into my front panel. I have a similar problem with the rear panel but it's doubly bad at the front. There's no error message, per se, but here's a typical experience for me trying to get plugged in.

1. Nothing is plugged into the jack. Output device is "Realtek Digital Output."
2. I plug the headphones into one of the jacks. Manager asks me what type of device I plugged in. I put a tick in the headphones box, and get sound through headphones. My audio device up top of the window becomes "Speakers".
3. I plug the mic into the other jack. It asks me what I plugged in. I put a tick in the mic box, and my audio devices become "Mic" and "Digital Output" again. I get no sound, but the computer can hear me.
4. I unplug the mic and plug it back in. Now I have "Mic" only but not speakers.
5. I unplug the headphones and plug them in again. It asks what I plugged in, I say headphones, and now my device is just "Speakers". I get sound but computer can't hear me.

Repeat ad nauseum infinatum. Basically it's a game of plug in, unplug, plug in again, change order, switch order, switch which device goes into which jack, until it finally recognises that, oh, you want the devices to be Mic and Speakers. It doesn't seem that hard to me but apparently it is.

There's less of a chance of failure if I use the rear panel but it does this same thing eventually. Also, sometimes sound will cut out in the middle of doing something, and a look at the HD Audio Manager reveals that it reverted one of the devices to "Digital Output" again for no reason that I can discern.

This is a new machine. It has no viruses or spyware since a clean install. The power supply was recently replaced and made no difference - it's a 650 Watt supply. I am unsure what kind of motherboard I have because I did not build the machine myself. So, I don't know the model number but looking through the window in the case I see that it's an ECS motherboard. I have an nVidia graphics card, the GeForce 9500 GT. I have an AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor running at 2.6 GHz, and my operating system is Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you tried downloading the latest drivers from the Realtek website?

Sounds like the inputs are creating a conflict between the drivers, so I would go into the sound manager and uninstall the current drivers, then install the latest ones.

See what happens when you try that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, found a workaround. The drivers were up to date but since it was a problem with the detection, I disabled automatic detection in the control panel. Manually telling it what was plugged into each jack worked fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.