Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, Im new to all this so please bare with me if this has been asked previously.

I have bought a new E System 303 PC which had a built in Realtek AC97 soundcard.

The sound quality from the PC however is very tinny and pretty quiet, I have to have the PC volumes up full and my Speakers volume control pretty high to get an adequate volume.

is this soundcard a rubbish one generlaly and should I upgrade to a better soundcard or does it sound like there could be a problem.

Thanks everyone

Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have been looking at my windows volume control and it gives you the option of advanced controls and the help section for windows volume states that you can adjust Bass and Treble of output sounds using the advanced control.

However the only fader which has the advanced option under it is Microphone and the bass treble faders are not selectable.

Could this mean anything?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
I have AC97 on my computer and my sound quality is very good. Go into control Panel and switch to classic view. Now go to Sound Effect Manager and Tab to Equalizer. Make sure it is on and set to something such as powerful or another preset one. Go to speaker Configuration and make sure it is set accordingly to your speaker set-up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
yeah ive done that already. Ive got it set at Rock.

Its hard to describe the sound im getting, its pretty tinny and not like the sound I got from my old computer at all.

On my old computer i could have the volume and Wave settings about half way and it would be more than loud enough but on this computer i need Volume and Wave at full and then my speakers own volume control at about half way for it to be loud.

It just doesnt seem right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you mean the cables from my speakers?

If so then I have the jack plug plugged into my line out on the back of my computer and the only system volume I can find is in the tool bar next to the clock on my desktop, the master volume and wave faders are at full volume.

The volume dial on my speakers themselves in then set at about half way and it is loud enough but the sound is not very powerful there is not much bass to the sound at all.

Is it normal to have to have the system volum set at full?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Have a look in device manager and see if there are any red or yellow exclamation marks, you may have to update the drivers.
I agree with carsey, the sound from AC97 is very good for most applications

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi there yeah Ive checked all that and it all appears fine.

Should I need my system volume faders set at full volume and use my speakers own volume control to adjust the volume?

is that normal?

I have never used speakers with a built in volume control before you see, my last computer had its own speakers so I just used the system controls to adjust the volume.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
My AC97 sounds great. I would check that ALL the volume meters are up. Right click on the volume icon and select Open Volume Control. Then look at all the meters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My AC97 sounds great. I would check that ALL the volume meters are up. Right click on the volume icon and select Open Volume Control. Then look at all the meters.

Hi

yeah all the volume meters are up.

it just seems strange to me that I should have to have my computer set at full volume in order to be able to hear anything.

Do you know how to make the sound more powerful and less tinny? ive tried the EQ but its not doing much.

Ive been reading about a vinylaudio driver which is supposed to boost AC97 sound much more than the Realtek driver which I have.

I have downloaded it and am trying to open the "vinydeck" which is its control panel but it wont open!

Im really tempted just to sepnd £40 or so on a soundblaster card

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
Make sure that the little speaker Icon in the clock area is up full.

Right-click it and make sure all the sliders in the newly opened window are set to full.

Click Speaker Volume and make sure both are set to full

Click advanced and make sure its the same as your setup and both have full acceleration

Click Audio and make sure its set to AC97 and under volume, all are set to full

Try that.

EDIT:

Set the control to powerful, has great bass on mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah everything is set to full.

is that really the case that all volume controls need ot be set at full volum ein order to get any sound?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.