1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today turned on my computer and i get this black screen that says
"while file initializing device NTKERN
windows protection error. You need to restart your computer"
so i did ..same thing happend.. then i turn it up in safe mode then restarted it.. i didnt see that message anymore
i have no idea what that is. it seemed to boot up ok though but i see it everytime i shut down my comp for about 5 or more minutes i see it again and have to go to safemode to boot up normally.
installed my lite on 161040b drive yesterday night and everything was ok wne i restarted it and all. but the message just showed up today for the first time.
please help!!!

win98se
amd 1700xp

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah!, i installed adaptec ez cd creator 4.. then i uninstalled it because i thought i only needed the aspi... then i went on their website and got the newest version of the aspi.(i think 4.somthing) then my cd roms would not work so i used the force aspi and dump aspi thing.. and the cds worked again.. but now this..i also installed highspeed cdrw device driver tht came with the driver

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,697 Posts
I have a feeling, it is due to you uninstalling EZ CD Crapola.
Strange things often happen with this software, and removing it is often the source of trouble. But Im not sure how to solve this, so I hope someone else can add some comments.

You said you loaded a driver for your burner.. did you have an error prior to this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
no before i added my liteon everything worked just fine.
do you think if i re-install win 98se it will be gone?.

if so are there any good websites that tell you hwo to do it?.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well if your talking about a dirty install - [ no format c: et all ] you will probably have the problem no matter what you do - generally it just layers over top of the files already there!

Formating will give you a clean slate but - you need all your disks - motherboard dirvers included-

I realize that you installed cdrw drivers - but why uninstall ? just a question. I also use that version but have found the ones in the cd to be just fine -

I do have a friend who called in a panic after reformating his box and not even knowing to print off his hardware list before he fragged it - so thats why I caution it first.

Sometimes it is a real pain getting stuff off the box - once installed!
wiz

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry but I don't know what the liteon drive is. I went to the web site and it looks like it could be several different things. Could this be a 2nd hard drive? Could it have an NT platform? :confused

·
Registered
57 Posts
Try reloading the drive, It may have loaded the NT driver?!?!? You say this started happening at the same time OR you can do a scanreg /restore from the command prompt if this has been in the last four for five days.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ight, try renaming you autoexec.bat and config.sys.

Instructions:
Either boot to dos and mosey on over the c:\ or open up a command prompt in windows which should be at c:\.

Then type Rename config.sys config.old and press Enter
After that type Rename autoexec.bat autoexe.old and press enter

After all that reboot and keep us posted, thanks :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the NTKERN error still shows up.

what do i do about the autoexe and config?? should i chagne them back or leave them?

·
Registered
57 Posts
No, their fine.

I found a MS doc :

Link

And that is about it! Really! I search the web and every were that quotes this problem links back to this specific articale.

Either you need to flash your BIOS or you have bad RAM

S

·
0 Posts
Go to run.
Type regedit
Click edit up top
Edit
Find
Type NTKERN
Delete NTKERN as you find them.
Then hit F# to go on to the next one.