Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
basically here is my computer: (originally)

abit ip25 pro motherboard
intel quad core 2.4ghz
4 gig corsair ram
corsair hx660w (i think) powersupply
two WD sata hdd one 500gb one 250.

right so my and my mate who has built three of these computer before with perfect results, built this and for the first two weeks everything was brilliant,

then one night the pc wouldn;t turn on. turns out the corsair broke. (i know.....corsair!!)

so i replaced it with an old power supply (around 300+ watt ) and applied for a replacemtn which i got, but haven;t yet put into the computer as ti was running fine on the old processor.

this morning the exact same thing that happened to the corsair happened to this old processor after running perfectly for 2 months.

now normally i would replace it with the new corsair one i got replaced right, that good....but my worry is what are the odds of two power supplies going with 3 months, especially when oen of the is a 600+ watt corsair??

so i have a 1k computer that is a powersupply killer, could it be one of the components? which one would it be?

i doubt its the room plug sockets (and before you ask i have changed the plugs, leads and everythign to get ti working) as all my other electronics work perfectly and have done since i moved in.

as you can imagine im stressed to the brim right now, i have spent so much money yet its seems a power supply wont last more than two months running this?

PS:( this could be the problem, my friend did overclock to 2.4ghz to 3.6, but the temp was still very low. could this be the problem?)

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
are you plugged into any surge protectors?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no,

as in a proper mulit plug socket thing designed for that type of thing?

do you think thats the problem?

i will get one of them from pcworld,

do you think this will solve the problem, ie. i get one of those and then put in my replacement 660 corsair and then i should be fine right?

does seem odd, and im happing its something to do with the plugs, because if it is inside the computer im pretty screwed.

so i will deffo get one of those either way.

can anyone give more advice? confirm what the above poster said or suggest something else?

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
You should have a surge protection.

The first Corsair PSU could have been faulty. The 300W PSU was too weak for your computer.
What video card are you using?

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
you must always use a surge protector or battery backup for your computers. The power to your computer or to any appliance in your house will fluxuate up and down which could eventually damage power supplies.

Have you ever sit in your living room and noticed a dimming or brighting to the lights for a few seconds or during a storm when lights wil fluttered, or dimming when heavy duty applicances kicked on? All of this could damage your computers power supply over time.

However, whether or not its whats causing your problem, its tough to say. Someone else may have other possible solutions. In the meantime - get a surge protector. You can get one at any discount store including walmart. Make sure it says surge protector not power strip.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
okay,
so the consesus is that it is most probably not the computer right? and pobably the fact i didn;t have a surge protecter.

and my graphics card is a 8800gts, the 300w however lasted two months, i figure dif it was too weak it wouldn;t work at all.

i do have many electronic plug plugged ina dn it could very well be the extension plug i had the power supplies plugged into.

i hope to god its that, i cant see its a component because everything i the computer works perfectly when the power supply works :) unless theres a stealth component i dont know fo that is secretly assassinating the power supply :)

i appreciate your help, i wil get a surge protecter and plug all my electronics in it. but again any other input would be greatly appreciate, you can imagien im on edge, its a £1k computer here and two power supplies have bit the dust. so any other likely possibilites or just general advice would be brilliant.

thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
turn out i was running the pc itself through a surge protecter, however it wasn;t all of the leectronics in the room, eg. not tv or xbox 360 etc.

does this change anything? that the powersuoppply was going through a surge protecter in the first place and still went dead?

im starting to really worry.

·
Premium Member
19,585 Posts
turn out i was running the pc itself through a surge protecter, however it wasn;t all of the leectronics in the room, eg. not tv or xbox 360 etc.

does this change anything? that the powersuoppply was going through a surge protecter in the first place and still went dead?

im starting to really worry.
depends how old the surge protector is and the type, some only have a lifespan of a year.

the other possibility that was suggested is also a valid one. To be honest, you may never know what happened.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i changed the power supply and still had no lucks, there is no activity whatsoever from the mobo so it looks like thats the problem, cause if it was the processor, in the least the mobo leds would show an error right?

im thinking the powersupply died (should test the one i took out) and took the mobo with it.

whereas when the corsair dies it took nothing with it because of the fact it was a bit better quality (could be talking out of my.....just saying my thoughts out loud is all :))

so what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
power supplies when they go can take just about anything and everything along with them,if you are lucky it's just the supply
i think you will lose more with a generic going because of the low quality it is more overloaded than a quality supply of equal wattage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.