Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been having some problems with a Toshiba Tecra 9100 laptop I have. The machine is running, like all machines in the house, Windows XP Pro, with Service Pack 2.

The machine was working fine one evening, when it was turned off. The next morning, when it was booted up, the troubles began. There were no hardware or software chances during this time.

When we boot it up, the Welcome screen informs us that this copy of Windows needs to be activated. It already was, but - okay. That in itself isn't much to worry about. I've seen it before. I try to log in. It takes forever. The machine is no light weight thing, and had been running really well. But now it is as slow as anything I have ever seen. Using the Process Viewer, I see that the total CPU usage is running at 100% constantly, with svchost.exe taking up more than 50% of this.
Even more interesting is the fact that the request to reactivate Windows is now gone. But all of a sudden, Norton needs reactivating.

Like I said, this came overnight, without any hardware or software changes. And it is now a constant problem - it happens every single time I boot the machine.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

~Codplay

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Personally I'd be looking as to infections, there may be other factors that can cause this but I would scan with everything I had and maybe some online scans as well and see what came back, try that while waiting for other replies, but it's my first thought.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.