Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to finish a presentation for work tomorrow. I saved an Image Mixer 3 file with most of my work and unwittingly changed it to an Mpeg. Now....6 hours of work I need to edit further is not recognised by Image Mixer 3 and I have no other copy!! I have tried changing file extensions and "open with" and I have had no success....
Help please.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Simply change it with the command prompt. Click start, click run, type cmd and click ok. A black box will appear on the screen. Place the file on your desktop and type the following commands into the box. Remember to press enter after each one!

cd desktop (Tells the command prompt to look at your Desktop)

ren "filenamehere.mpeg" "filenamehere.correctextensionhere" (Tells the prompt to rename a file. Replace "filenamehere" with the actual file name. Keep the quotes around the names and extensions as I have! You should type four (Or eight depending on your viewpoint).)

exit (Closes the command prompt. Alternatively, you can click the X like any other program.)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Very strange.. Try doing this instead.

Open a folder. Any folder will work, but the one with the file you need to fix is optimal for obvious reasons.

Click tools > folder options (If the menu is hidden, press alt)

Click on the View tab, scroll down until you see "Hide extensions of known file types". Uncheck the box, click apply and ok.

Click on the file you need fixed, press f2 and change the extension to the proper one. Press enter once you've finished typing the new name.

That should fix it. You can hide the extensions again if you want by rechecking the box you unchecked earlier if you want. Personally I leave it unchecked since I need to change file extensions a lot (usually from .txt to .bat).

If you need screenshots on how to set it up I can post them.

·
Moderator, Design Team
12,727 Posts
Another way would be to download a video file converter (plenty of freeware out there - this one works for me though probably better ones available now) and convert it to an .avi file or whatever file type Imagemixer likes - heard so many complaints about Imagemixer :sigh:
You should then be able to open it and edit further - just be aware that every time you convert and/or compress a video file you are losing quality.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's true, but then he'd lose the ability to edit subtitles and such. He's only changed the file extension, not the video format. Come to think of it, that might mean only Imagemixer will be able to convert it in the first place since it's still an Imagemixer file.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.