Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Elite Commander
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
jsut had this land on my desk.

Laptop, with a 1TB disk, user isnt happy wants his SSD disk in it.

Problem -
We recently hit the reactivation point of some critical software on this machine and therefore cant simply wipe and restart.

The disk is showing as the min size to shrink to as 400gb, we need to shrink this to below 110gb.

some files are "unmoveable"

How the !"££ do i sort this one out?

Laptop has a DVD drive so all i cna think is some util disk to compress everything to the begining of the drive to allow me to re-partition it accordingly?

·
Premium Member
41,823 Posts
The easiest thing is to get a bigger SSD. If that is not possible, then if they have an external HDD, Move the User Files to the External (ie) Pictures, Music, Documents etc. That should only leave the Windows OS and the Programs and it should easily fit on a 120GB SSD. Once everything is moved, you can Clone the Old HDD to the SSD and swap them out. The External will need to be connected at all times or you will get an error that the User files cannot be found if it is disconnected.
The other option is to get an adapter to attach the mechanical HDD to the DVD connector, so the SSD is in the main HDD slot and the Mechanical HDD is in the DVD slot. Then you will not need to have to have an external attached at all times.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.