Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I too am having issues with connecting to the internet after reinstalling Win XP on an old Dell box. I had to reinstall due to a really nasty virus.

I have installed all the drivers, and pinged the NIC port using 127.0.0.1 and received a reply.

I have 2 pc's here and swap the cat 5 cable between the two computers. The one box, (mine) connects to the internet fine. But the Dell will not connect. I tried erasing the network connection and adding a new connection, but stilll it does not connect.

Please help...

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
TSF Emeritus
20,461 Posts
Hi davidg47,

Is your computer wired or wireless to the router?
Something that you might need to do also is find out if you Ethernet adapter's driver is installed after you formatted and do a clean install of XP.

Click on Start, right click My Computer => Properties => hardware tab => Device Manager => find your Network Adapters and expand it, see if it has a Yellow !. Right click on the Ethernet Adapter and choose Update Driver or Scan for hardware changes. If you have an ethernet driver CD for your Wireless adapter have it ready. Choose Uninstall then re-install. Normally your Windows will do a Plug N play auto install for you, but just in case you might have your CD driver ready.

Let's see what the results on this then we'll continue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you would read my original post,

I installed the drivers, the card is embedded on the MB and wired to my router/modem. I pinged the NIC address 127.0.0.1 and received a reply. When I open device manager and click on the adapter and view properties, the message says the device is operating properly. I already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver to no avail.

Any other ideas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.