Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Re install wxp on a toshiba satellite pro a300-1dz

5K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  vagrent 
#1 ·
Hi all
I have a toshiba sattelite pro a300-1dz laptop model no: psag1e-oofoo4en
which got infected with a virus which is all fixed now however the computer is not functioning properly and i wish to do a fresh install of windows.
I have my xp sp2 disc on cd, i have backed up all data on the laptop and ready to go. I have studied how to install xp and i have done it for real on my pc.
So i should'nt have a problem should I?
Hmmp:4-thatsba
well i was confident of this when i began but when i run the wxp cd it loads all its stuff and i select the option to install wxp then you should goto the screen where you format the hdd but it politely informs me:

Set up did not find ant hard disk drives installed on your computer.

Make sure any HDD are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and any hard disk related hardware configuration is correct. this may involve running a manafacturer supplied diagnostic or setup program.

set up cannot continue press f3 to goto hell..er i mean quit setup

when i press f3 windows loads up.
Please help

See less See more
#2 ·
Installing XP on a SATA drive requires an additional step:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_install_windows_xp_on_a.htm

However, Most newer BIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting,

change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP ( could be IDE Mode, Compatibility Mode or Legacy Mode - different BIOS use different terms )

some will say IDE instead of ATA)

If there are no such settings you'll need to slipstream the sata drivers on the XP CD, follow the instructions in this guide :

http://www.digitgeek.com/how-to-slipstream-sata-drivers-into-xp-cd/

#4 ·
Hi again
I am in the bios now or the 'InsydeH20 Setup utility Rev. 3.0' and found what i believe is the 'sata operation' its called 'SATA Cotroller Mode' and i have 2 options [AHCI] or [compatibility]
Help again:eek:
just googled 'ahci and compatibilty' and was very baffled, but noticed some things like 'ide' and 'legacy' so i must be in the right area.
I dont want to change the mode yet till i know for sure it will sort my 'issue'
sod it can it really harm the computer if i just change it? surely i can just press F2 (onstartup) get back into bios and restore defaults if i have a problem...
ahhh think i will wait till i get reply to be safe...aaah thinking aloud:laugh:
jeff

#5 ·
Hi again
I am in the bios now or the 'InsydeH20 Setup utility Rev. 3.0' and found what i believe is the 'sata operation' its called 'SATA Cotroller Mode' and i have 2 options [AHCI] or [compatibility]

Try Compatibility

Help again:eek:
just googled 'ahci and compatibilty' and was very baffled, but noticed some things like 'ide' and 'legacy' so i must be in the right area.
I dont want to change the mode yet till i know for sure it will sort my 'issue'
sod it can it really harm the computer if i just change it? surely i can just press F2 (onstartup) get back into bios and restore defaults if i have a problem...

Yes, if it does not work, it's easy to change back . . it will not harm the pc

ahhh think i will wait till i get reply to be safe...aaah thinking aloud:laugh:
jeff

#11 ·
Yeah it is, I settled here after living in london about 7 years ago and I love it. I still yearn for my home town sometimes, but here in devon is so much nicer I soon forget that notion.
Only porblem is at the moment we seem to be having a monsoon!! Its rained constantly since end of sept! well give or take a few days.
Doesnt faze the dogs though rain or shine they just wanna run about a sniff things. Which is good gets me off this damed computer! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.