Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: disk boot failure, please insert system disk and press enter

my hard drive is SATA... i've gotten this error message several times, gone in, wiggled & unpluged this cable, reinserted it, and powered up with no problem... i spoke to a technician about the problem, and she said it could either be the cable or the slot... it's been plugged into the black slot (there are 4 - yellow, white, blue, black). she suggested that i plug the cable into a different slot and that if that worked, it was a problem with the black slot... if that didn't solve the problem, it was a problem with the cable... i haven't done this yet, as she didn't seem too keen on the issue and it almost seemed like she was reading off an online forum (like this one) so i would like another opinion. does this recommendation seem right? thank you!

·
Registered
25,111 Posts

I have moved you to hardware since you posted in an old post in Microsoft that was real old and not active.

Some of those SATA cables just don't make a good connection. When you said that you could wiggle them and then it worked, that gave me a clue what might be wrong. That is a known common problem with those Sata cables.

Get those cables on there real tight, then take a plain old cable tie and fasten that cable tie to something solid that is nearby. If you need to, do that for each end of the cable. Even a solid Pata cable can be something that will keep them from coming off. That way they won't wiggle loose from fan vibration or just simply moving the case.

Give that a try and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

thanks! i will see if i can figure out something to attach the cable ties to... seems like it will be difficult - especially on the hard drive end... i'll let you all know if this works. thanks again!

·
Registered
25,111 Posts

You can even tie them to IDE ribbon cables or even the wires from the hard drive which are secure. There are so many solid wires running through those cases, that this is a very easy job. When you get in there, you will be surprised how easy it is to do that. I always use ties to put my cables orderly and away from the air flow that I am an old hand at doing that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.