Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm having trouble with my friend's RDRAM system. I was having other troubles and posted on another forum (madonion.com) and one guy told me that the RAM could be causing me trouble and I could have a bad ram stick. The system has 4 sticks of rdram (2x256MB and 2x128MB PC1066). So I took out the two 128MB sticks, but forgot to put the Continuity RIMM's into the empty slots. I started the computer, and it pretty much ideled, nothing came up on the screen, nothing seemed to be running but the fans. I tried turning it off in the front and it wouldn't, so I cut the power off on the power supply. Now every time I turn on the power supply, it tries to start up, and just idles. I tried putting all the ram back into motherboard and running it with all 4, and it still wouldn't start up, no matter what I did. Obviously I damaged something, I personally thought it was the power supply, but I don't want to go out and tell my friend what to replace because he's on a very tight budget right now, and wanted to make sure I knew what I damaged when I ran the system without the Continuity RIMM's. Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I never messed with a computer using RIMM'S, but I don't think you not having the dummy sticks in would damage something. It probably is the power supply. I had a similar problem with my computer, using the cheap PS that came with the case. It started by my screen flickering and then the computer freezing up. Then a few weeks later it wouldn't start, but the cpu fan would run. If you have a voltmeter(or access to one), leave the power connections going to the mobo connected, unplug all others. Then check the other connections with the voltmeter, if the voltage is down around 5 volts, you definetly need a new PS. Or you can take your PS and put it in his computer and see if it starts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yea, I tried putting my in, after I posted this and found out the power supply is fine. So, right now I'm thinking it's the motherboard that's not supply correct voltage to the ram sockets and causing the ram not to run correctly.... causing his computer to not want to start itself. I have a voltometer, is there a way to test the power going to the RAM or any idea what else it could be or some other way to test it?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't know of any way of testing voltage on the mobo, being that the connections are extremely small. I don't know what else could be the problem, hopefully some one can jump in and help you, Sorry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 75% sure it's the mobo, so I'll just tell him to order another mobo, and hey, if it doesn't fix his problems he can just send it right back.... b/c I don't know any way of testing it either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have a month or so b4 my friend will have the money for a replacement motherboard, so I guess I'll try to futher investigate the source of the problem. I called my father up and he seems to know how to test the voltages to specific areas on a motherboard, so I'll try that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I posted the problems he was having before at http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=techotherhardware&Number=1552131&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

I'm really not worried about these problems anymore, I just want to get his system back working. Basically he had virus-like issues, but I did a clean sweep on the system, and it fixed nothing, so I tried the RAM, and forgot about the Continuity RIMMs, b/c I'm used to using and working with DDR more than anything, and his is the only rdram system I've worked on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.