Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all the great people on this forum

I am looking to build my own system (I currently only have a laptop) and I have decided that I am going to go to town on the hard disk by having a very fast one as my OS/boot disk

Question 1

Is the difference between 10000rpm and 15000rpm that big and noticeable and also are they very noisy.

Question 2

How much can I expect to pay for a controller card (new or used) for a SAS drive.

I look forward to your answers and any other information that you might think is relevant. Thank You in advance:pray:

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
You need to watch the SAS controllers, some of the cheaper ones only support RAID. I ordered on that supports up to 4 single drives for something like $250.00 for the card, cables for SAS were I believe about $75.00 for four ports. I don't think in average use you would see a lot of difference between 10K and 15K drives. There are just too many other variables, including what you are doing on the computer, that will affect overall performance. There is a point of diminishing returns on performance upgrades. The faster drives work well on file servers where file I/O ( disk intense slow load on the system ) by multiple users is the primary function.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank for quick reply

Based on your info I think I will just get a raptor drive as in all honesty I dont do a lot (hoping to do some video editing) except surfing. Any recommendations on a good midrange mobo with raid and also is there such thing as mobo with built in sas controller.
Thanks in Advance raptor pa

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.