Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an external HD that is Mac only, and I have been using it for months now and everything has been fine. I have not done anything differently, haven't tried hooking it up to a windows machine or dropped it, nothing like that. But all of a sudden two days ago I can no longer write to the drive. I can read from it, but when I try to write to it the file stops after only maybe 1/10 of the file has been written and then it says that the drive has been ejected. If I do not try to write to the drive then it stays connected just fine. Anyone have any ideas? I've tried searching around for solutions, but I am having a hard time finding my problem. Thanks for the help.

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,608 Posts
Right click on the drive and select "Get Info..." and click on the triangle next to "Sharing & Permissions:" so that it points down and tell us what is listed there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)

But I just tried another micro-USB cable and it seems to be working although the progess bar does get hung up after about 5 seconds for maybe 30-40 seconds. Should I be concerned about this or just go buy myself a second cable. (The one I used is borrowed.)

P.s. Thank you very much for the help so far.

Edit: And now my HD is not showing me certain files. I'm beginning to think that my HD is corrupted, which really sucks.

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,608 Posts
That is where I'd be going too. Now I'd try it on a different Mac all together. If you have the same problem, get a new cable. Still have it, the drive is bad. If it works on the other Mac, then there is something wrong with your Mac, and I'd take it in to get looked at. If you are lucky, there is something wrong with the OS and it can be repaired, or reinstalled. If unlucky, then the USB ports are going bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called western digital today, and they suggested that it was because my computer isn't sending enough power to the drive, which would prevent it from spinning up properly? I thought this sounded sort of sketchy, but who knows because they are sending me a "power booster" cable free of charge. So I suppose I'll see how that works out, and then report back here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.