Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

This is my first post - hope you can help! I have an odd problem - my computer shuts down without notice, and without going through the proper sequence, but seems NOT to completely turn off (the LED indicator around the "On" button remains lit).

This all started when I added a corrupted HD to my computer so that I could recover some information. I then removed the HD, and the computer appeared fine, but would no longer recognise its DVD drive. I have since disconnected that drive.

I use the computer to run some reasonably heavy-duty computation (for research purposes), but it usually does not "survive" for long after a process begins. I notice that the fan starts making a lot of noise (as if it's going very fast) in the minutes before shutdown. I also notice that, if I simply force the system off (holding the power button down) then turn it on again, the ethernet card does not appear to connect. Normal function is only resumed if I turn off the power "at the back".

Any ideas?

Tom

P.S. Since I'm not sure what parts of the spec may be relevant, I've attached a DxDiag file to this post.

Spec:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Hi hopester, and welcome to the forum. It looks as if your power supply may have gone bad. Can you give us the details of it (they are written on the side of the PSU). You can also read the important PSU info in my signature for more detail.

It might be worth resetting the CMOS by taking out the small button battery on the motherboard for half an hour. Remember to ground yourself before touching any components - Leave your computer plugged into the mains and switched off and touch the case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Psu?

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion - I'm not totally sure what the PSU refers to, but my best guess involves details as below:

Delta Electronics "Giant Power"
GPS-350CB-100A

Are these the details you were after?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dang those cpus run hot hehe. The PSU details i think he meant were for the rails mainly. There should be more info written on the side of the PSU i would list it all :)

Also you can monitor your rails and how much they fluctuate under load. If they fluctuate too much that will cause some problems. Unfortunately i forget which program i used in the past to monitor them. I think it was motherboard monitor 5.

Your CPU temps i think are about right for that cpu...i may be wrong i am not that familiar with those chips. If it is at all dusty in your case would be a good idea to blow out everthing with a can of compressed air. Amazing how much a little dust can raise your temps.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The P4's generally can run up to the high 60s quite safely but I would look into re-doing your thermal paste. There's more info in my signature about that.

Personally though I don't think your power supply unit (PSU) is quite up to the job, look at the power supply calculator in the PSU info in my sig and see how much you need.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried resetting the CMOS, but to no effect. And I've now left the computer on for nearly 20hr without having anything big running, and It's still on... So it does start to look like this is something CPU-y. I'm going to try taking everything apart and removing all the dust...

Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.