Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I can't seem to find help on this problem and I turn to you guys for support.

I own a Toshiba Qosmio x505-q890 and I love it except for one problem. It shuts down randomly when playing games (graphics heavy games) or using other media that uses the graphics card (HD videos / editing). At first I thought that this was an overheating problem but I wasn't even close.

Recently, I noticed that this problem only happens when my laptop is connected to the power supply. I leave it connected most of the time because my performance is enhanced while on the power supply. I never experienced this "random shutdown" while running on battery but my performance is hindered.

My graphics card is a NVIDA GeForce GTS 360M.
I'm on Windows 7 64-bit.

Is this is surging problem? Can anyone please provide steps or help on how to go about fixing this problem. Thank you guys so much.

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Are you sure you are not overheating? What are your temps. Even when running on the power you have your battery as a back up. What you are describing sounds like it will not overheat at the decreased performance level but when plugged in running at max performance it does overheat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I'm not very good at describing. My temps usually never surpass 60c while on the power supply (gaming).
Another example I have of it shutting down is when I try to run an uploaded video through Windows Media Player and my laptop shuts down almost immediately. This only happens when I am plugged in but when I'm not, I can play the video.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Remove the battery, run on A/C power and see if the problem persists.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
  • Okay so I tried playing a video on Power Saver mode while on A/C power and thankfully it works! The shutting down did not occur.
  • I tried running a video on High Performance settings with the battery removed while on A/C power and my laptop still shut down.
  • Here are my temps while on Power Saver mode and on A/C power with a video running in the background.
Hardware Monitors
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware monitor ACPI
Temperature 0 58°C (136°F) [0xCF0] (THRM)

Hardware monitor Intel Core i7 820QM
Power 0 13.78 W (Processor)
Temperature 0 56°C (132°F) [0x2C] (Core #0)
Temperature 1 56°C (132°F) [0x2C] (Core #1)
Temperature 2 59°C (138°F) [0x29] (Core #2)
Temperature 3 55°C (131°F) [0x2D] (Core #3)

Hardware monitor NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M
Temperature 0 38°C (100°F) (GPU Core)

Hardware monitor Hitachi HTS725050A9A
Temperature 0 36°C (96°F) [0x24] (Assembly)

Hardware monitor TOSHIBA THNS064GG2BB
Temperature 0 34°C (93°F) [0x22] (Assembly)

Hardware monitor Battery 1
Voltage 0 12.57 Volts [0x3119] (Current Voltage)
Capacity 0 100544 mWh [0x188C0] (Designed Capacity)
Capacity 1 79002 mWh [0x1349A] (Full Charge Capacity)
Capacity 2 79002 mWh [0x1349A] (Current Capacity)
Level 0 21 pc [0x4E] (Wear Level)
Level 1 100 pc [0x64] (Charge Level)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mmm I don't have a cooling passive option, but it's set to maximum instead of minimum. Also this laptop is pretty new and I have used compressed air to clean out my vents just in case the problem was dust. I'm not sure if that's enough.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
  • Okay so I tried playing a video on Power Saver mode while on A/C power and thankfully it works! The shutting down did not occur.
  • I tried running a video on High Performance settings with the battery removed while on A/C power and my laptop still shut down.

• It would appear the problem is with the AC adapter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would appear the problem is with the AC adapter.
I was assuming the same thing. Would you happen to know how to go about fixing the problem or would I have to contact Toshiba directly and let them know that I have a faulty A/C adapter?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.