Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok like the title says..my computer randomly restarts. I i have run norton virus scan, spybot search and destroy, ad-aware, memtest86 and also switched out video cards and nothing has helped. Im running xp with sp2. a few times it restarted i got an vpu recovery message from my video card..so i thought that was the problem...but it wasnt. i installed a new card and no more vpu recovery errors..but my pc still restarts. i have all my drivers up to date. i just cant figure out what is causing it to restart all the time...HELP!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i did that and nothing....after hours of trying to figure it out....i found the problem. my power supply fan..was not connected to the motherboard...and that power supply has been in there for about 5 months ROFL...man i feel so stupid :(.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Don't feel stupid at all, just be thankful you caught it now before it caused any damage to the system

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well now im having problems again. it stopped restarting for a while but now its doing it again. except now it will freeze and my mouse arrow turns blueish green and then i get the bsod. i have cleaned up my registry as best as i can, ran spybot, ad-aware and ran norton anti-virus and nothing is fixing the random restarts. I have also looked at the event viewer right after it restarts and cant see any errors anywhere. i know for a fact that my memory and video card are not the problem. i have motherboard monitor running now and everything seems to be staying fairly cool. any ideas?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Change the power supply with another that is compatible with the system. Let us know the outcome.

Also use the Windows Memory Diagnostic Test
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests. If you are experiencing problems while running Windows, you can use the diagnostic to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard. Windows Memory Diagnostic is designed to be easy and fast. On most configurations, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test and complete the first test pass in less than 30 minutes.

Or you can try memtest

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ill see if i can find a suitable power supply and see if that helps. i guess i wouldnt be to surprised seeing as how this is the 3rd power supply i have had since i have owned this computer :(. i already ran both of those tests and both came out with 0 errors. thanks for all the help :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well im still looking around for a power supply that i know will work. in the meanwhile i downloaded speedfan and ran it. its showing two things that are running at 125C. both are lm57 on via smbus. whatever both of those are. anyway...im guessing that could be a problem. anyone know what this is??

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
you will get absurd figures from a senor reading where there is no sensor
post the voltage and temp readings from
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/SensorsView-Download-29890.html
a lot of people when they need to replace a psu go and buy the same as in there already
wheras you usually need to increase the wattage and the quality of it or you are in the situation futher down the track
put your specs into here
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
based on a quality power supply and add 30% to the end result
post your system specs including the psu details
post the bsod error message in full,turn off the auto reboot so you get the bsod erro message that the computer freezes on
have a read here
http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=107466

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright well i just reinstalled windows two nights ago and so far so good. I havent had any random restarts like i was having. anyway here are the temps and voltages from sensorview.
cpu: 45c sys: 31c aux: 21c hd0: 43c

vcorea: 1.50v
+3.3v: 3.28v
+5v: 4.96v
+12v: 11.30v
-12v: 6.07v
+5vsb: 4.91v
+vbat: 0.51v
checked bios temps and all seem to be ok.
before i reinstalled windows i unchecked the auto-reboot and i only got the bsod two or three times. other then those times my monitor would go black then a few seconds later it would just reboot. no error messages of any kind.

currently i have an Antec Truepower 2.0 480w
Asus A8V Deluxe
amd 64 +3500
1 gig of Ultra ram
Radeon 9800 pro
maxtor 80gig hd
soundblaster x-fi

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
The voltages you listed, are these from speedfan or other software or are they from bios?

The reason I ask is because the +12v is well below spec, if this is reported from software lpease confirm this from bios and reprt back what it reads there

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Thats a better +12v reading and within spec but sometimes a flaky psu will drop one of the voltages and create the restart but if it is fine now lets take a wait and see approach

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well it just restarted out of nowhere...ugh. i was just looking around on a couple sites and bam!...screen went black and restarted. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
actually it was a typo. i just did it again and it said 308w and that is without adding the 30%.

i have a Antec Truepower 2.0 480w

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.