Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently (last weekend) upgraded my existing computer. It only started freezing then. It froze the first night I put a game on (after a few hours). The next night it ran fine for over 4 hours. Then the following night, it froze again. Even the sound froze and I had to press reset.

AMD Phenom II x4 Balck Edition 3.2
ASUS M4a79XTD EVO
Geforce 8800GT (latest driver)
G.SKill 4GB (2x2GB)
Corsair TX 650W - http://www.corsair.com/products/tx/default.aspx
Windows 7 64-bit

I had been monitoring the Temp of the CPU and I never saw it go above 48 Deg after over 3 hours of gaming.

I thought it could be a RAM issue - I checked the new HHD and there was no page file so I set it to auto. It ran fine the next day, but froze again the following. (around 29% of ram usage when only IE is open)

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I have ran a RAM check which has come back fine. My old HDD (which was still plugged in) I have pulled the power and SATA plug out of. I checked the RAM and its seated fine and Windows sees all 4GB of it.

Any idea is appreciated.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
What parts did you upgrade? Considering the problem started after the upgrade I have to assume it's related.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
THank you for the reply.

I would think it is too. Upgrade was everything on that list except the GPU and OS.

I had have not played this game for awhile so I can not say it worked just before. THough certainly another game I had been playing was fine.

Its odd as it can work fine one day then freeze the next. I have tried re-installing the GPU driver this morning so will see how that goes.

Someone mentioned that maybe my PSU was was low to power everything, but I looked around and I had hoped I had bought appropriately.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The 650W Corsair is quite sufficient for your setup. Considering you used good hardware for the replacement parts I would have to suspect the GPU.
Do you have or can you borrow another GPU to try?
My only other suggestions would be to Run Memtest on the RAM & check the Voltages in the Bios.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I am glad about the PSU as I bought it with a view for it to be able to run my next GPU when I bought one (looking around a Geforce 275 next year)

I have my old ATIx1950Pro I could try. I will chk the BIOS again and note the voltages.

VCORE Voltage - 1.390v
3.3v - 3.39v
5v - 5.080
12v - 12.250

VCROE, 3.3 and 12v fluctuates slighty.

I did notice that due to space, i had my GPU in the second PCI-E slot which was only x8. As I had unplugged a HDD I was able to move it into the PCI-E x16.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its been three days now (didnt want to jinx it) but my PC has been running fine so far. I deleted the NVidia drivers andI am running off what W7 installs and nothing more. So seems it could be the latest Nvidia driver.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Nvidia drivers have always been pretty reliable if they come from the Nvidia site.
Could have been the GPU in the PCI-E slot that only has 8X.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.