Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i just built this new pc, cost me an arm and a leg, and every thing runs fine except for the fact that it freezes randomly with looping sound, and i cant do ANYTHING except hit reset. It freezes maybe 1, 2, or 3 times in about a day of use. Im never doing anything specific, ill be playing a game, looking through my pc files, or browsing the net and just staring at a website.

Ive swapped the RAM chips about, ive taken the Audigy 2 out, and now im using the AC'97 onboard sound. All my drivers are up to date, im on SP2 for XP, and im 99.9% sure its not a heat issue, as ive checked, and nothing goes over 40'C. Yet, it, still, freezes, randomly.

The main parts are:
XFX GeForce 7800GTX
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939)
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA
Ultra X-Connect 500W ATX2.0 PSU
GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Ultra Platinum CAS2
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 THX Sound Card

Please post with ideas, this is driving me nuts. :dead:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Try Running System File Checker

(Insert Your Win XP Disk into your CD-ROM Drive)

Go Start-> Run-> SFC

Then Wait. This will compare all your system files to the original copies on the Disk, and replace Damaged ones.

Sounds like if your computer is just locking up, not auto-restarting, it could be a damaged .DLL File.

Also, how much did you pay for that PSU?

Some Companies rate their PSU's at a temperature of 25 degrees Celcius, and some PSU's drop as low as 380W when at around 40 degrees Celcius internal Temp.

These are temps inside the PSU, not air temps inside the Computer.
Be especially careful with that 7800GTX, Thats one Power-Hungry Card.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Explain in more detail how i go about the System File Check?

The PSU cost me around £75. I think i could have got it cheaper, but i was all excited about getting it :laugh:

·
Registered
339 Posts
OK, I believe that PSU checks out. I was afraid that you got it for like 20 bucks or something, and that It was a low quality. Trust me, a marginal PSU can cause all sorts of trouble that's really hard to track down to the Power Supply. (In other words, it does a good job of placing the blame on someone else :laugh: )

Allright, to use the System File Checker, You'll need your Windows XP Disc (I'm assuming that your using Windows XP) that you used to install windows.

Now, Insert the Windows XP Disk in your CD-ROM/DVD-ROM or whatever disk drive you have.

When the Windows XP AutoRun Popup appears, close that.

Now, go to Start, Then to All Programs, then to Accesories, then to Command Prompt.

When the Command prompt window pops up, type 'SFC' (Without the Quotations)

Then follow the onscreen instructions.

Hope it works!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, ive run SFC, and it did its thing. Not sure if it changed anything, but i have just remembered something about my PC that may be crucial. In my spec i mentioned only 1GB of RAM, when in actual fact i have 2GB of RAM, so all 4 slots are filled. Also, i am using a 20pin cable instead of a 24pin cable on the motherboard, as i was told it would work, and it was all i had. Would this cable be the source of the random freezes i have been getting? I know that the extra 4 pins supply more volts for PCI express, and seeing how my system is quite demanding, would the freezes be because there isnt enough power getting through? I think i have found my problem? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
339 Posts
That could very well be it, those extra four pins can supply quite a few amps, very crucial in a loaded inviroment.

What you need, instead of buying a new power supply, is one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812201001

should help, try it and post back.

Also: RAM Checks out, but try leaving some slots open, just to try. At the very least it solves the possiblity of a chipset problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, i bought the cable, installed it, but the crashes were still there. I then decided to take out some RAM like you said, and took out 1gig, leaving 1gig in. The result has been a few days without a crash, so looks like i have a faulty RAM stick. Or could it be one of the slots on the mobo? How do i check, ive heard of a program called memtest or something like that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kroz said:
Ok, i bought the cable, installed it, but the crashes were still there. I then decided to take out some RAM like you said, and took out 1gig, leaving 1gig in. The result has been a few days without a crash, so looks like i have a faulty RAM stick. Or could it be one of the slots on the mobo? How do i check, ive heard of a program called memtest or something like that?
switch your ram around in the dimms to make sure its not a faulty dimm slot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.