Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe and for the last month my Seagate 80GB IDE drive on the Promise 20378 IDE channel is not detected at random. The occurance of theis problem is getting worse every couple of days. Because of the setup of my system I could only change cables around to try this drive on the primary IDE channel, and since it has no data I couldn't boot off the drive. However, the normal BIOS detects the same drive within a few seconds. Also, when I connect a new 250GB hard drive to the Promise controller, it is also detected just fine.

The first time this happened I reinstalled the WinXP drivers which seemed to solve the problem for a few days. So, I am just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem before I try rebuilding the system trying to track down the problem. But since I don't have time do so, I'm writing this from work to see if maybe its the motherboard, Promise controller, hard drive or what.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had tried all that, though I just tried updating the bios from 1007 to 1009, and its been working so far. But I don't understand how an old bios can all of a sudden become incompatiable with the hard drive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.