Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have the following pc issue:

I have a Dell Desktop pc and Vista Home premium edition, and yesterday my pc randomly shut off (I hadn't changed any settings or installed anything new as far as I'm aware). When it restarted, the bootup screens contain random characters and some missing characters. And when loading Vista, it will go to the loading screen bar (which is now yellow instead of green for some reason!) and then I just get a black screen with no cursor. However, it will load in safe mode and although it works fine in safe mode, there are also random blue/yellow squares on the screen (not sure if that is usual for safe mode).

I have tried putting in the Vista DVD and doing startup repair, doing a system restore, and also uninstalling/reinstalling the nvidia driver, but no luck. Can anyone recommend anything else to try? I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft MVP
7,483 Posts
This is most likely a video problem. Try checking the cables first, then check the monitor (by trying another one).

Unplug the system from the wall and check inside of the case to see if the fan on the video card is free of dust/debris (if it's an onboard video card you won't be able to do this). Then plug it in and see if the fan on the video card is working. DO NOT stick your fingers inside the case when it is powered on!!! This can damage the components - to include damaging YOU!!! Also try a house fan blowing into the case to see if that helps any.

Beyond that, try another video card (DO NOT buy another one unless you can return it for a refund).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.