Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My laptop (standard EMachines notebook) is randomly freezing up -- usually during any 3D video application such as games, and less often during normal use. These lockups seem to be coinciding with my HDD access light turning on and staying solid for the duration of the freeze, and then flickering and turning back off. When they occur in my game, they are also usually accompanied by the music looping up and my headset giving a data transfer error message.

I have:
Checked for / updated all sound and video drivers
Virus scanned
Ran a chkdsk
Cleaned registry
Checked for malfunctioning hardware
Dis/re-enabled drivers
Updated Windows

and all sorts of the other usual fixes. Any help? This lockup problem is sporadic, occurs never on some days and every few minutes on others. Computer is extremely frustrating and almost unenjoyable to use on the bad days.

Windows 7 32bit.

Lockups also seem to occur more frequently, if using a web browser, while trying to watch Flash-based videos or while typing in a text field.

Other random info:

Seems to occur in spurts, with a few days to a month of the problem and then very little or none for a few weeks, with no apparent changes in system setup or health.

I've been told, as far as freezing during my game goes, that graphics card temps of about a max of 170F are hot but not badly hot.

Specs:

2.3 GHz processor AMD V140

2 gigs RAM

Integrated ATI Radeon Mobility video

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

(Not sure if this should be here or in the Windows 7 forum -- sorry if I guessed wrong!)

·
Registered
768 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can do! May be a while before I have the time to run the HDD and mem diagnostics.

OS - Vista/ Windows 7 ? Windows 7
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? 32-bit
· What was original installed OS on system? Windows 7
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? OEM
· Age of system (hardware) Less than a year
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?
Never
· CPU AMD V140, 2.3GHz
· Video Card Integrated ATI Mobility Radeon HD4250
· MotherBoard AMD M880G
· Power Supply - brand & wattage
Battery : 4-cell Li-Ion 2800 mAh
· System Manufacturer Emachines
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom) EME442 V133

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
Right before posing I looked in one more spot and I think i found what I think is your problem.
Code:
Total Physical Memory:     1,787 MB
[B][COLOR=Red]Available Physical Memory: 83 MB[/COLOR][/B]
Code:
Memory :    2048MB DDR3 dual-channel SDRAM (2 × 1024MB)
2 DDR3 slots total, 0 slots available (4GB maximum)
You need to add more memory ASAP. Before you do anything else listed below add more memory to the computer. Your computer has both slots filled. I would recommend getting a 2x2GB pair of memory to replace what you have. This memory here is compatible with your laptop 4GB kit (2GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 upgrades for eMachines eME442-V133 Laptop/Notebook, CT1659060 from Crucial.com

Code:
Event[1379]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: Service Control Manager
  Date: 2011-04-10T14:11:55.583
  Event ID: 7009
  Task: N/A
  Level: Error
  Opcode: N/A
  Keyword: Classic
  User: N/A
  User Name: N/A
  Computer: Zach-PC
  Description: 
A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Windows Error Reporting Service service to connect.
This error happens frequently in your event log. It might/might not be the cause of your system freezes. Go to the start menu search and type "services" without the quotes and hit enter. Click on Services (Local) from the left side and then scroll down to Windows Error Reporting Service. What does the Startup Type say? (It will be either Manual, Automatic or Disabled)

Code:
Event[45]:
  Log Name: Application
  Source: VSS
  Date: 2011-04-13T01:54:41.000
  Event ID: 12348
  Task: N/A
  Level: Warning
  Opcode: Info
  Keyword: Classic
  User: N/A
  User Name: N/A
  Computer: Zach-PC
  Description: 
Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: VSS was denied access to the root of volume \\?\Volume{6fac32ad-ed4e-11df-a463-88ae1d7f5920}\. Denying administrators from accessing volume roots can cause many unexpected failures, and will prevent VSS from functioning properly.  Check security on the volume, and try the operation again. 

Operation:
   Removing auto-release shadow copies
   Loading provider

Context:
   Execution Context: System Provider
You might have issues with OS corruption, hard drive issues, or possible infection. Start off with these two tests and report back the results. If they both pass then I'd like for you to head over to our Security department and get your system scanned for any infections.
1. Open a command prompt and type chkdsk /r
2. Run a hard drive scan using SeaTools - both short and long tests

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Firstly, I don't understand the memory issue -- the machine came default with those cards and I have run another PC just fine with both slots filled with 524MB cards.

Reporting service is listed as manual startup but currently running -- I will set to automatic just in case.

Have already ran a clean checkdisk, and will get back to you with the SeaTools results tomorrow. As for infection, I have already ran full scans with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware, so if it is one, it is a tricky bugger!

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts
OS - Vista/ Windows 7 ? Windows 7
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? 32-bit

The system files you provided show Windows 7 x64 installed, not x86 (32-bit).

x64 should have 4 GB RAM minimum to run efficiently.
These lockups seem to be coinciding with my HDD access light turning on and staying solid for the duration of the freeze, and then flickering and turning back off...
You increased your page file to 2679 MB - (if system managed, page file would have allocated base size ~ 2100 MB) -
Code:
[FONT=lucida console]AllocatedBaseSize=[COLOR=red]2679[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=lucida console]Caption=C:\pagefile.sys[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida console]CurrentUsage=[COLOR=blue]554[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=lucida console]Description=C:\pagefile.sys[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida console]InstallDate=20100906152507.234416-360[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida console]Name=C:\pagefile.sys[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida console]PeakUsage=[COLOR=blue]727[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=lucida console]Status=[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida console]TempPageFile=FALSE[/FONT]

[FONT=lucida console]Caption=c:\ 'pagefile.sys'[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida console]Description='pagefile.sys' @ c:\[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida console]InitialSize=[COLOR=red]2679[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=lucida console]MaximumSize=[COLOR=red]2679[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=lucida console]Name=c:\pagefile.sys[/FONT]
[FONT=lucida console]SettingID=pagefile.sys @ c: [/FONT]
Virtual memory usage since last reboot peaked at 727 MB. Your system is using virtual memory (page file) to supplement lack of sufficient physical RAM; hence the likely reason for the continous HDD activity light.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts
Look in c:\

You'll see 2 \Program Files folders - one has (x86) in the name - this is for 32-bit apps. The \Program Files folder itself = x64 apps

I would upgrade RAM to 4 GB.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.