Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experiencing Freezes while playing various 3d Games on my computer.

The problem started soon after I bought it. It froze in mid game, seemingly unrelated to anything else, it could be 5 minutes in, och 5 hours. It's a home build, so returning it isn't an option.

When the error occurs the computer is completely non responsive and no error messages pop up, it looks just like the moment it freezes, no sound and all LED's are lit like normal.

I first thought it may be heat related, but from what I can gather, the heat levels seems to be in acceptable levels (if a bit high). CPU around 40-50 degrees at startup and up to 60 during gaming. GPU is about 70 during gaming.

Still even if it is heat problems, normally the computer wouldn't start up easily, or it would show signs of decreasing performance as the system becomes overheated. No such things happen, it runs perfectly and freezes for no apparent reason.

I have Core 2 Quad 2.83GHz
8GB ram (which have been tested with memtest, and passed)
IDE HDD (with no errors)
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Graphics Card Geforce 280

All newest drivers and bios.

since this appears ONLY in 3D games, I would think perhaps the GeForce card is the culprit, but since the heat is ok, and since some games run ok, it makes me wonder...

Recently I've played Vampire Bloodlines without any problems, but while trying the free DDO Online RPG I usually freeze a few minutes into the game.

Games I had problems with
Mass Effect
Far Cry 2 (In my previous Installation, not in my newer installation, curiously, since It's basically the same setup)
Knights of The Old Republic (1&2) though errors in these were much more rare.

Games that work
Neverwinter Nights 2 + most expansions
Farcry2 (as mentioned above)
Vampire The Masquerade

Is there any way to test my system further to get to the core of the problem, if it's hardware, it can be both CPU, Motherboard and GPU.. maybe even something else, but at this point I am not ruling out Software, since Farcry 2 actually is working now since I did a full reinstallation.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but, I'm actually not sure about those things

it is an 800W PSU as far as I know and I can probably try to find out the make/model, but I have no idea about 12v rail amp rating? What is that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah :) it's a Chieftec CFT-750-14C

180W MAX
+5.0V 28A
+3.3V 30A

720W MAX
+12V1 +12V2 +12V3 +12V4 18A

9.6W
-12V 0.8A

15W
+5VSB 3.0A

And then it also read 750W at the bottom... hope this wasn't too confusing, I tried to write it up as I can see it

I remembered wrong, cause I initially ordered an 800W one, which they ran out of stock so I bought this one instead, which I figured was close enough?

·
Hardware Team , Games Team
4,651 Posts
The PSU is ok, but not one i would use to be honest. Its an unknown brand which can usually indicate poor quality. The fact that their website has shutdown (or could just be down) is a bit of a worry.
Could you download Everest and post your temps while your in-game.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All values in Celsius
CPU:50
CPU1:44
CPU2:44
CPU3:45
CPU4:42

GPU:57 (Used RIVATUNER since Everest wouldn't show this value in trial edition)
GPUMEM:48

No values seemed to get high at all when playing DDO Eberron.
I am trying to reinstall the program to see if there is any difference.

·
4,651 Posts
Have you ran a Disk Check?
Open My Computer > Select C: drive and right-click Properties > Tool Tab > Check Disk for Errors.
You can also run another system scan.
Open cmd (Right-click on CMD and run as Admin) > Type "sfc\ scannow.
If there are any errors found you will need to insert your Vista Install or Upgrade disc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ran that sfc utility, and it actually found some errors!

It however said it repaired them, so I guess a reinstallation or further repair shouldn't be necessary.

I can't open the logfile however... would be interesting to know which files was corrupt.

I'll see if the games keep crashing now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still had som problems. However...

I also found on a different forum a tip that since I am running a machine with all DIMM slots used, that the NorthBridge could use a bit more voltage, than the standard/auto setting.

So I upped the voltage there, according to their specification (1.4V) and voila, so far no problems at all. *Knock on wood*

Kind of peculiar, since this bascially means that the faulty component is the Auto setting on the motherboard for the voltage. so In essence a power issue, but not due to the PSU?

I'm unbsure if it's fully solved yet, since it could be a fluke and It might crash again, but so far so good.

The corrupt files probably didn't do me anything good either, I bet they were corrupted from one of the many shutdowns I've had to do over the last few months.

I'll get back if there are any more freezes.

·
4,651 Posts
It could be the PSU, this is a classic example of a PSU not giving the system enough voltage when under a load. You should not have to increase any voltage settings as you have now voided your warranty on the PC and will have to be replaced on your own expense if it does become damaged beyond repair.
If the system was crashing due to a lack of voltage and you increase the voltage requirement manually then you are putting undue stress into the PSU (If it is the problem).

I would suggest placing the BIOS back to default and obtain a PSU of equivalent wattage or more just for testing. Either from a friend or another PC in your house.
If your PC does not have any issue with the other PSU then you know that the Chieftec is faulty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep I suppose so. I will see if I can find a PSU, probably though I'll have to buy a new one just to test it.

Since the problem didn't reappear yesterday (And I "tested" for many hours ^_^), I'm thinking we at least found the cause here. Thanks alot for helping me out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.