Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...I am currently experiencing frustrating freezes

My system is:
A8N-SLI premium
Athlon 3500+
2GB (4x512) Legend DDR400
Leadtek PX6600 GT TDH Extreme
Super Flower 500W plugNpower PSU

This system is randomly freezing, mouse keyboard and ctrl-alt-del does nothing...have to do reboot.

I have exhaused every option with no luck

temp - avg 41 deg C (max 51)
memtest - no errors (5 hours)
HD scan all ok
Got Bios 1008, chipset drivers from ASUS website
Have done a complete reinstall of XP with bare bones software.
PSU is brand new

I think I have followed all the advice I can find for these sort of problems that others have experienced, but nothing seems to change it. It has sometimes produced BSOD and then reboots but have remedied that, but still get random freezes, with no particular trigger identified. The event viewer in computer management does not show any errors straight after reboot.

Any suggestions????

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
HI,

I know you probably won't want to hear this, but how many amps are on each rail of your power supply. Also, might be a good idea to use Probe to see what voltages are being put out on each rail of your power supply.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PSU specs

Here are the specs on the PSU

+3.3V: 0.3-35 Amp
+5V: 1.0-45 Amp
+12V1: 1.0-18 Amp
+12V2: 1.0-20 Amp
-5V: 0-0.5 Amp
-12V: 0-0.8 Amp
+5VSB: 0-2.5 Amp

I use probe and get

+12V: 11.712
+5V: 5.026
+3.3V: 3.36
VCore: 1.504

These voltages are stable and only very small flucuations have been observed on occasion, but still well within the +-5% allowable from what I have read. At this stage am very willing to hear anything that may solve this problem, changing the PCU, mobo or GPU are undesirable but all else is fair game. I am borrowing a different GPU today to see if maybe that is the issue, will post results.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

I would start by replacing your underpowered PSU with a "quality" 600 watt unit. SLI systems are very power hungry and very finicky about the quality and the need for consistent "clean" power. I highly reccommend an Enermax EG751 "SLI-ready" power supply (about $150.00) . check the prices on ebay or newegg.com for comparision.

here is a "quality" comparison chart for your review

regards / joe

ATX Power Supplies - Brands from A to Z

*** RATED BY QUALITY ***

Key
H = High Quality (Good Solid Reliable Brand)
L = Low Quality (Cheap Generic)
M = Medium Quality (In-between)
U = Unknown

A-Power................L
A-Top..................L
A+GPB..................L
AcBel..................L
AC Ryan (Ryanpower)....L
Aerocool...............U
AG.....................L
Ahanix.................L
Akasa..................L
Allied.................L
Antec..................M/H
AOpen..................L
APC....................L
Apex Allied............L
Aspire.................L/M
Astec..................L
Athena.................L
BFG....................L
Broadway Gaming........U
Channel Well...........L
CHAS...................L
Chenbro................U
Chieftec...............L
Coba...................L
Codegen................L
Conrad.................M
CoolerMaster...........H
CoolMax................M
Crystal................L
Dell...................L
Delta..................L
Diablo.................L
Eagle..................L
Echo Star..............L
Enermax................H
Engleking..............M
Enlight................M
Epson..................L
FDK....................L
Fortron (FSP)..........H
Gateway................L
Gazelle Multimedia.....L
Global Marketing.......L
GPower.................L
Guardian...............L
Herolchi...............M
Hipro..................L
HP/Compaq..............L
HPC International......L
Huntkey................L
I-Star.................L
IBM Redundant..........U (expensive)
Intel Redundant........U (expensive)
In Win.................L
Jaguar.................U
Kensington.............L
Kingwin................L
L&C....................L
Leadman................L
Levicom................L
LiteOn.................U
Logisys................U
Mad Dog................L/M
Maxtron................L
MGE....................L
MGE Vortec.............M
MorningStar............L
NEC....................L
Newton.................L
Nexus..................L
Noise Magic............L
NorthQ.................M
Nspire.................L
OCZ....................H
Omega..................L
Packard Bell...........L
PC Power & Cooling.....H
PC-World (PCW).........L
PCMCIS.................U
Power..................L
PowerStream............L
PowerTek...............L
PowerUp................L
PowMax.................L
PowMax XPower..........L
Premium................L
Pyramid................L
Q-Tec..................L
Q-Technology...........L
RaidMax................U
Real Power.............L
Rosewill...............L
SCS....................L
SeaSonic...............H
Shuttle................L
Silent Purepower.......U
SilenX.................L
Silverstone............H
Sky Hawk (Eagle Tech)..L
Sparkle................H
Star Micronics.........L
StarTech...............L
Sun....................L
SuperFlower............L
Supermicro.............L
Tagan..................H
Task...................L
ThermalTake............M
Topower................L
Tri-Mag................L
TSP....................L
Tyan Tiger.............L
TTGI...................L
Ultra-Power Computer...L
Ultra..................M
Ultra X-Connect........L
Vantec.................H
Verax..................H
Vigor..................U
Xion...................L
xPCgear................L
Zalman.................H
Zippy..................L

Thanks Whodat / for the link !!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As it stands now:

Have had one freeze within half an hour of new PSU installation, was how ever multitasking a lot. System resouurces and heat all seemed fine though.

One thing I have not mentioned earlier is that I am running two monitors off the one GPU - Leadtek PX6600 GT TDH Extreme. For the first time I experienced a jam on my second one, the system was still operational but I could not click on the second screen. I opened monitor properties on first screen, shut down dual view and then set it to on again and it was all ok.

After about 2 hours of operation I experienced a BSOD, it appeared really quickly and then straight to reboot. I did however see one line with "win32k" that's really vague I know but it only displayed for a split second. I checked the event viewer and nothing!

I know this GPU can run two screens but does number of windows and the like affect system performace a possible cause this problem?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ LucidEsquire
Certainly running dual monitors will tax your GPU. It depends on the resolutions and refresh rates you are trying to run. You could try backing off of them a bit and see if that helps. Are you able to monitor your GPU temps?

It is a bit strange that no catagory in windows event viewer says anything concerning your freezes.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello / well the install of the enermax will be a huge help for you in the end / nothing rots quite like burning up expensive componets !!

I would try taking off the side case of your computer and blowing a house fan into it / then multi task the snot out it !! if you get no freezes then the answer will be added cooling or air flow for your vid cards !!

let us know / i am in suspense now !

regards

joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I tried that before the Enermax PSU and didn't change anything. It seems to be pretty stable at moment. When have downloads going, ie. Azureus, it seems to be a bit more prone to doing it. My thinking is that it is trying to acess too many parts of HD at once and can't cope? (not using SATA yet) But when am multitasking without DL has been very stable in comparison to before.

The new PSU has made a big difference. Will be running some models later which is where it had been falling over before...will post when have some results.

The issue that has arisen now is one of my displays freezes and then does refresh as if coming out of hibernation. Has refreshed automatically and have had to do manually. Am monitoring the GPU temp with winfox and reads around the 42 deg C mark.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
High quality PSU...What an investment

So far no freeze...have got 2 screens full of windows and applications, can run models and still seems to hold up ok. Even have some downloads going.

The screen has a couple of glitches, trailing and refreshing as mentioned before. Doesn't happen often.

I can't belive that it may have all been due to the PSU! Will keep posting further problems when they arise.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
have you tried memory testing prog yet ??????? memtest86.com (free)

also monitor you cpu usage % and memory usuage % with the Ctrl Alt Delete keys > go to task manger then perfromance

then push the snot out of it and see if its using all your cpu resources and memory resources / I dont see anyway it possibly could unless you have a snail of a hard drive ?????

also download everest home edition (free) and check some other things like system temps / system voltages/ cpu temps ???? post them in here for evaluation
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

also ??? how do you connect to the internet for downloading lan, modem, cable modem, dsl ??????

make and model of hard drive please ?????

we will get to the bottom of this dilemma

regards

joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep ran the memtest86 for 5 and a bit hours - no errors

Have been monitoring all temps and voltages through ASUSprobe, Winfox and checked temps in bios, all seem ok. I have the voltage settings within bios set to auto.

Can't seem to overload it at moment, as you said. Performing nicely! The hardware monitors all indicate resonable ranges and are stable. The glitch now is the monitor refreshing. It is very intermitent and doesn't cause any system crashes or freezes. I have not been able to freeze it like was happening before?

I have run everest...great program...I have a complete report but it is very long.Let me know if require more than this:

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type National LM89 (NV-I2C 4Ch)
Motherboard Name Asus A8N-E / A8N-SLI Series

Temperatures:
Motherboard 40 °C (104 °F)
CPU 42 °C (108 °F)
GPU 44 °C (111 °F)
GPU Ambient 35 °C (95 °F)
WDC WD800BB-55JKA0 33 °C (91 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 3309 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.50 V
+3.3 V 3.33 V
+5 V 5.00 V
+12 V 11.84 V
+5 V Standby 4.81 V
VBAT Battery 3.09 V
Debug Info F 33 FF FF
Debug Info T 42 40 34
Debug Info V 5E 00 D0 BA B9 BD 00 (F7)

Looking through the report I have seen one stand out point and that was

--------[ Power Management ]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power Management Properties:
Current Power Source AC Line
Battery Status No Battery
Full Battery Lifetime Unknown
Remaining Battery Lifetime Unknown

Should there not be a battery spec???

My HD is a 80GB Western Digital Caviar (WD800BB-55JKAO)

Internet connection is cable (UL/128) using port 60000 for listen in software

Thanks for the invaluable help, it is saving my sanity!!!

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello:

The battery spec message under "power management systems"
is used if you have one the battery pack / surge protection back-up devices i.e. if the power dies it supplies enough juice to do a power windows shut down / Power Chute makes the most popular line of APC's (usually on high end business desktops and servers)

Like you said / I dont see any problem "hot" spots / your temps are awesome / your voltages are great
no memory errors / ???????

i am stumped on your shutdowns now / unless it's a monitor refresh rate dilemma ?????

Your hard drive is not a snail so it shouldnt be getting too bottled up although it not a rocket either :( the 2 meg cache means the processor is going to be tied up more than it could or should be / its kinda like carrying water with a 2 gallon bucket / you have to make alot trips to the well

a western digital 7200 rpm drive ATA 133 8meg cache would improve things for the CPU / if you see it getting maxed out ???????? such drives in the 40 gig range are cheap on ebay / food for thought

awesome system / i wish santa would bring me one for x-mas

keep us posted

joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, here's where it stands:

It has been pretty much freeze free all day except for a few minor trailing windows and monitior refreshes. This stayed the same even while ripping CD's, running programs and some MATLAB models. Which is a lot better than what it was capable of when I started this forum.

Early tonite it went quickly to blue screen and did reboot, this happened during multitasking operations but in particular when I was resizing some windows on the primary display.

I have checked the event viewer and under applications have found the following for the reboot time.

Source: EventSystem
Category: (50)
Event ID: 4609

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was C0000005 from line 44 of d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I have gone to MS but they have no help on their knowledge database. Is this event equivalent to what the BSOD would have said...or is there another way of retrieving that data? The same error has occured 2.5 hours earlier and 2 hours prior to that with no reboot. These two instances might have corresponded to some monitor problems mentioned earlier but can't be sure of times.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just changes some IE settings and it did the logout thing, but when logged back in I sent an error report to MS. It came back with that I had had a severe hardware crash with four possiblities:
1. RAM (checked that know its not it)
2. CPU (hope not only had it since July, can I test it somehow?)
3. MoBo (shouldn't be only had it since Sept)
4. PSU (all good)

Don't know why it sent this error report as didn't crash, only changed settings and IE logged out user to apply them.

It seems to be ok now, bout to start working it again. Is this just a MS glitch or am I in toruble?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I am wondering now if you have a crappy OS install / sometimes when you install a OS and configure progs and things and you add freeze ups to such tasks you get a corrupted or flaky enviro

could you swallow the red pill (the movie = Matrix) / erase your drive and perfrom a "clean install" with Sp-2 ??????

what bios are your running ?????? the most current

if you select any of this / please dont begin until we discuss indepthly

hmmm / thats a rather sweeping MS message / what they are really say is

1: somethings wrong with your system
2: ?????????
3: ?????????
4: ????????

regards

joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL on the MS, yeah we love them don't we?

It is clean install just before started this forum, 2nd one actually to try and rectify this problem. But that was before the new PSU if it makes any difference?

The System ID: 4609 has various forums going on it, the easiest fix suggested was remove messenger 7.1 but I run 7.5 so there goes that, the other recommends the following. The reboot is fairly common all of a sudden...and the post I found seems to make sense but it didn't change anything.
--------------------------------------
"I've been seeing a particular problem on certain Windows XP computers when they are updated to Service Pack 2, and judging from posts in these newsgroups and also on other Internet message boards, it's quite a common problem. The symptoms are that after SP2 has been installed, and the machine has been rebooted a few times, this error message appears in the Application Event log.
I searched information on this problem for a while, and eventually found the following two articles relating to Windows 2000 Service Pack 4: M821546 and M827664. It turns out that in Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 two new user rights were added, "Impersonate a client after authentication" (SeImpersonatePrivilege) and "Create Global Objects" (SeCreateGlobalPrivilege). Even though the articles do not say so, it seems that they were also added in Windows XP Service Pack 2. However, it seems that sometimes something goes wrong in the XP SP2 installer when it sets up these two new user rights. I think this is why some computers get the above error messages. It does not happen all the time and I cannot see any reason to which some computers are messed up and some ones are not. I reckon it is a race condition or some other similar bug in the installer.
The reason that the problem does not always manifest itself straight away is probably because by default Windows only “refreshes” its security settings every 16 hours, and if that refresh is a while away you might not see the problem right away. Some networks may also have turned up this refresh time, so the problem is even worse.
Some sites may also have these settings set (possibly incorrectly) in their Default Domain Policy group policy, which could also mess things up. However, at my site we don’t have these settings set on the domain anywhere, only in the Local Security Settings, and yet we still have the problem. Anyway, if the security settings upgrade goes wrong, you end up with the error. Fortunately, it seems to be quite easy to fix.
On the affected workstation:
1) Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools.
2) Run “Local Security Policy”.
3) Go to Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User Rights Assignments.
4) Double click on “Create global objects”. The correct default settings are “Administrators”, “INTERACTIVE”, and “SERVICE”.
5) Double click on ''Impersonate a client after authentication''. The correct default settings are “Administrators”, “ASPNET” (if you have the .NET Framework installed) and “SERVICE”.
Even if the settings are set correctly, you may need to “refresh” them to fix the problem. To do this, on each policy, remove one of the entries (“SERVICE” is probably the best to remove), then press OK to save the changes, and then go back in and add it back in again (click “Add User or Group...”, type “SERVICE” into the white box, and press OK). Then close the Local Security Settings box and reboot. If you are running in a domain with Group Policy, you might want to force a group policy refresh before you reboot by running “gpupdate /force”.
---------------------------------------------

The BIOS is 1008 from the ASUS website and is non beta

·
Registered
906 Posts
This seems to be related to your video setup. Have you tried reinstalling the drivers or using a different version of your drivers?

If you try different versions make sure you used drive cleaner software to completely remove the old drivers before installing new ones.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The way it stands now is:

It BSODed and rebooted three times in quick sucession, with no apparent trigger, yet again. At the moment am getting hour or so streches out of it. When it does crash the event viewer shows system ID 4609.

I just don't get it, it was fine for almost a day and then pow! down she goes. I've checked for viruses, spyware and the like with several different programs all clean. Registry fine too.

If need to will start fresh. AGAIN!

What are the chances that it is a MoBo fault or worse CPU fault?

Before I do the big wipe, will replace GPU to see if any change in system problem. Will post any findings.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.