Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard of or have the cure for a machine just shutting down by itself for no particular reason ? This usually occurs while surfing the web using IE.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi,
go to control panel , administrative tools , event viewer and have a look in application and system folder and see if there are errors....u can start there. Also go to control panel, system, advanced tab, startup and shutdown and untick (if ticked) automatically restart. This will/may give you a BSOD (blue screen of death) and an error something like 0x00000007a which can be Googled for some help......a nice site for help is http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php... random crashes in win xp can be ram,power supply, cpu overheating, and many more !!!

Hope this helps..

Dermo

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can google them or search on technet.com for the explenations.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a little overwelmed by this. There are multiple errors found in the location mentioned previously. Is there an easier way to fix this problem? My machine just randomly shuts in the middle of using it.

Please help.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, its a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop. Not sure what brand the motherboard is. Not sure what you mean by "power". Its a 2.4 ghz with 512 mb of ram. The shut downs have all seemed to be revolved when using IE or Apple iTunes software.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think this is a very helpful thread.

Lately I've had a LOT of this problem, but mostly during more demanding programs like 3d games.

I had assumed it was due to the PS but then I unplugged some devices and now only ONE HD and ONE optical drive are set up. And that my friend, is not much.

An8 SLI ABIT
PNY 6600 GT pcie
FSP 400 W
hyperx dual channel 1 gig
plenty of drive space

I had another RAM stick in, but took it out to try and fix the problem. NO luck. I've had random reboots in Pariah, Quake 4, Diablo 2 even...***?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm never doing anything very demanding. The few times its occured I've been surfing the web with IE. It also happened once when I was burning a music CD using Apple iTunes. Very annoying. Upon rebooting I always get a error window that says something like "the system has recovered from a serious error" I fear my machine is nearing a major crash.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine gives the same error message saying,"Your system has recovered from a serious error." Not sure what to think about it. I'll probably reformat after I beat q4 :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
shutdowns

my friend built me a computer a couple months ago. when i first started using it, it worked perfectly. lately, ive been running multiplayer games online like farcry and halo and during gameplay, my computer randomly shutsdown. i would start the computer up again, and when i signed back in, its says something about "active desktop disabled due to error." i just reactivated the desktop and everything went back to normal. but when i would try the online games again, it would repeat the process. Its even gotten to a point when this would happen on offline games on singleplayer. after this happening multiple times, my computer refuses to even turn on now. any suggestions?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.