Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi,

I have installed two 1gb DDR2 rams (500mhz) into both of the orange DDR2 slots. Worked fine.

now i'm planning to buy another two RAM cards (800mhz) but 2gb each at this time and ill install them into the yellow slots. Altogether would be 6gb RAM. As long as it is DDR2. In my manual book, it says it can support up to 800mhz cards. Will that work??

If so... then do I need to buy an extra cooling fan? Currently I only have 2 fans, CPU fan and the chassis fan from the case. I have a geforce 8500 asus graphic card which has no fan on itself, I still dunno if i need to buy more fans to cool down all those stuff lol.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Probably not, mixing memory that has different speed and timings usually results in instability at best, though in theory, the 800Mhz ram should slow down to match the 500Mhz ram you already have. Also if you are running a 32bit OS like XP then the max memory utilized would only be 3.25-3.5 gigs not the full 6 gigs you install. You should defintey have a intake fan in front and a exhaust fan in the rear (psu does not count)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Probably not, mixing memory that has different speed and timings usually results in instability at best, though in theory, the 800Mhz ram should slow down to match the 500Mhz ram you already have. Also if you are running a 32bit OS like XP then the max memory utilized would only be 3.25-3.5 gigs not the full 6 gigs you install. You should defintey have a intake fan in front and a exhaust fan in the rear (psu does not count)
Oops my bad. The two 2gb rams cards are actually 800mhz. The two 4gb rams are 800mhz as well but a different brand.

Well I changed my mind and bought another two 2gb ram cards. Now i have 4gb RAM, should be enough for now ;) Only costed me 70$ for four 1gb ram cards. A pretty good deal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.