Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just a quickey this time. Previously I had 512 MB of SRAM. Soon I'm planning on buying a 1GB stick. Im gonna take one of the 256 MB sticks out of my "good" computer (Dell 6400) and put it in my "not so good" computer (Dell 2400). Then I shall put the 1GB in my 6400. Ergo my "good" computer will then have 1256MB of DDR SRAM. Now, here's my question, will I even be able to notice a difference? For those of you who have read my past posts you know I am a hardcore gamer (BF2, and CS:Source). Recently I have heard all the "In order to REALLY enjoy BF2 you need lot's of RAM and a good Video Card" remarks (A while ago I treated my computer to a brand new GeForce 6800 Ultra, so I'm well off on that end). But, will I, as a gamer and a computer junkie, be able to notice a difference? I'm sure my computer won't run faster cause it's the processor that does all the real work (or does it?). Overall, will I notice a difference? Ok I'll shut up now.

-Cheers
-Daywalker

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I already did that by finding my exact RAM type on my Dell system facts page.

·
Registered
209 Posts
well i know alot about bf2.
with low/medium settings it uses about 540mb of ram for itself.
if your a person who doesnt mind shutting everything off before you run bf2, then you got about 200mb of ram use from your desktop, if you leave music/ventrilo/xfire... whatever on. then you may have 300 or so. add these up, they all come short of 1.3gb.
768 is minimum to run bf2 well.
your upgrade between 512mb and 1.3gb will make a HUGE difference.

you will notice it with "Alt-Tabbing" er going back to your desktop. you will also notice it if you use something like BF2 Editor, which is known overflow more then 2.5gb of ram

i donno about cs source, but your upgrade will be worth it, Assuming you have a good processor.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Pentium 4, HT, about 3.0-3.5 GHZ.

PS: Thanks for answering, I'm holding a 1 GB DDR in my hand as I write this. You convinced me to spen about $100, so congrats :1angel:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I make CS:S maps, and run a Source Dedicated Server. I know I've heard that more RAM increases the rate at which your Processor renders light for map design, so I think I'll feel it there also. Hopefully, I'll feel it there, lol.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ohhh I can rn BF2 on all high settings now!!!!! Thank you for talking me into more RAM, it was as good as buying a new video card!!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.