Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
There is no way to pull RAM out of thin air. You will need to buy it or else increase the amount of virtual memory (hard drive space put aside to store data from RAM that isn't in use) by going to control panel -> system -> "performance" tab -> click on "virtual memory". If you don't know what you're doing, it is not a good idea to mess with virtual memory settings.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Well, you are already using virtual memory as long as you don't have it disabled, but increasing the amount of virtual memory will not make windows report more physical memory, the only way it will do that is if you crack open your case and put in more memory.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hm

im not sure what he is running, but a friend of mine has his machine set up all sorts of odd.

when he boots it, it shows the 256 megs that physically exist, but once windows loads, it reports 512 physical memory, and it even kinda acts like it has twice that. even using aida32 it shows 512 megs of ram, in two sticks. this is impossible, as i have seen the inside of this machine, and it has one stick of 256 that i helped select and purchase. also, aida32 shows the memory read and write benchmarks to be almost twice what they used to be.

could be if you can do it right, something could be changed, but i am not sure if it is software he did it with, or if it is a feature of the ram or mainboard.

and, i have that machine set to not use virtual memory untill the max physical ram is used, and we have yet to see the swap file bigger than 0 megs.

anyways, it allows him to run apps that require more than the 256 megs of ram he has.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.