Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using XP home edition but decided to put WIN 98 back on as XP was a bit RAM hungry.

To my suprise I have noticed that WIN 98 is using the same amount if not more ram than XP Home.

I have cleared everything in startup (except Antivirus software and sys tray) .When I check system resources it says that the computer is using 50 percent of my available RAM. I have 256 sdram PC133. So its leaving me with 160 free .
With rambooster I can get it up to 220 free but that is the same amount I can fre up on XPHome .

This doesn't sound right to me . Surely XP uses more ram if not Im swithcing back to it.

Also when I press ctrl-alt-delete and remove everything but sys tray and explorer and then refresh and go back into it again Rnaap appears.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Actually, that sounds about right. System cache will usually take a percentage as it is available, meaning the more you have, the more it uses. Go to 128 and see it drop! If you have 128 only, it will use about half. But then you only have half left......

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I would not get excited about what RAM the O/S is "apparently" using, because much of it is cached items that will be discarded if the RAM is needed for something more useful. There should be no issues running either W98SE or WXP with 256mb of RAM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.