Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered an Athlon X2 4400+ and I am still debating on what memory to get with it. Right now I will run some cheap pc3200, 512mb until I can research enough to find out what memory goes best with the X2. My biggest question is whether to go with pc3200 again, or upgrade to something like pc3500 or possibly pc4000. Is there a performance difference at all? I do plan to overclock, so that is something to take into consideration. In theory, faster RAM means an easier-overclocked processor. Does anyone have some input on this?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello: welcome to the forum:

My personal opinion is overclocking is an outdated fad / it was usefull back in the days when a CPU could get bottlenecked (P133, P166, P233 ect)
(a large factor to that was the limited ram available therfore the CPU was doing a larger work load) any boost in cpu speed during that hardware time frame was a noticable improvement / however with today's ram speeds and large sizes (1 gig & much more) coupled with the fast processors / overclocking is really a thing of the past. I helped a friend of mine overclock his computer (p4800-C & 3.2 Prescott) 20% - he needed cooling help to sustain that OC << water cooling >> and I was not really able to see much diff although he swears there is when playing Battlefield ?????????

I certainly dont think it was worth any where near the over $200.00 he had invested in the water cooler and even more cash for the Ballistix memory stick upgrades to achieve real tight memory timings ???

In summary if you really need more speed better to spend your money on dual core CPU and 64 bit bus !! The 32 bit PCI bus sytems are the big choke point now not the CPU & the memory

As far as the DDR-2 memory goes / the added speed of the memory seems to be equaled out with the double or more latency drag of this memory. Remember; somehow ????? mobo makers and hardware vendors have to keep us wanting the next bigger, faster, quieter system and therfore are always hyping the next revolution of componets ???? how else can they get you to shake loose >$1800.00 every two years ??

Personally I am no longer interested in shelling out over $300.00 for the latest video card only to find out it lost 40% of its value 8 months later / the deal is buying that hot rod card months later when its topples off the throne of "latest and greatest"

two cents worth

regards

joe

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Listen to linderman. Very good advice. I normally buy memory that is rated no more than what the MB will handle. What I would get for memory is the speed rated for your MB/CPU combo with the best latency. GHz is not an issue any more with CPUs and AMD proved that.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
check out www.newegg.com for the good deals. good brands to get include corsair XMS series, mushkin, kingston hyperx series, crucial and crucial ballistix series, ocz memory, and even patriot brand ram.

all of these brands are good. check out the website of the motherboard your gonna get and see if the ram compatibility chart if they have one.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Word up, Linderman. He speaks truth and you'd do well to listen. OC'ing a CPU really is just a thing of the past and hardly offers much these days. You may crank out another 400Mhz but now you're using a water cooling system and your chipset is nearly on fire and you spent $300 on two sticks of oh-so-wonderful RAM so that you could get 2FPS more in Counter Strike: Source?

Call me crazy, but I don't see the point in OC'ing anything anymore. Especially with the cost of modern components...

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
:FIREdevil :4-rolling
My personal opinion is overclocking is an outdated fad
i guess you boys dont subscribe to the overclocker's club

speed is the key, its never fast enough. snap power!

2 gig seems like a 450 mz now

the '65 389 gto wasnt good enough, i needed the 3/4 race cam, edelbrock and holley, and a dual point distrib. :FIREdevil :4-rolling

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.