Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the same problem the original poster of this string had, except I am running windows xp. How can I fix this?
I have an IBM netvista, 1.1Ghz, originaly started out with 128MB of ram, I bought 256. Now, my computer recognizes i have 384MB of ram but when I try to test direct3d it tells me an error. I've looked up my computer at the IBM website and my motherboard can have up to 512MB of ram.
Also, my computer will display 3d graphics with only the 256MB ram stick, or the 128MB stick, but wont with both.
they are both pc-133.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Steel-x said:
I have the same problem the original poster of this string had, except I am running windows xp. How can I fix this?
I have an IBM netvista, 1.1Ghz, originaly started out with 128MB of ram, I bought 256. Now, my computer recognizes i have 384MB of ram but when I try to test direct3d it tells me an error. I've looked up my computer at the IBM website and my motherboard can have up to 512MB of ram.
Also, my computer will display 3d graphics with only the 256MB ram stick, or the 128MB stick, but wont with both.
they are both pc-133.
First off, it's best to start a new thread when you have a new problem, this is not the same problem as the original poster had, since his was specifically a W98 issue.

Your problem seems to be a memory compatibility issue, but it's pretty hard to add much more, since you didn't include any specifics about the system or any expansion boards. Since the memory works individually, but not together, it seems to be something about the memory characteristics. Have you tried slowing down the memory timing to PC-100 speeds to see if it's just marginal memory?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
johnwill said:
First off, it's best to start a new thread when you have a new problem, this is not the same problem as the original poster had, since his was specifically a W98 issue.
Exactly.

What you did was an example of "topic hijacking" the only cure is to run over the hijacker with a Mac truck. :tongue2: Or split the thread like I did, in any event try not to hijack again or I'll opt for the Mac truck option next time. :bandit:

To address your question, I'll need to hold off until you answer some of Johnwill's questions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.