Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, here's the scenario:

i've got a 486/100mhz with 8mb of ram. i get these 2 extra 4 mb cards, put them in the next two memory bays. start up the computer, everything seems to be fine, BIOS says '16384kb OK'. so it goes into the regular startup thing...'Starting Windows 95...'
all of a sudden i get a message: 'Windows Protection Error. You must restart your computer'. this comes up no matter what i do, starting normally, in safe mode, so i try loading into dos straight away. everything seems to be fine, until i try running a program, at which stage the computer freezes up.

why is this happening? i asked a guy i know and he said it should work fine just putting the extra ram in...so anyone know the source of this problem and how i can get the extra 8mb to work!? there's nothing wrong with the ram cards, coz i took them out of a computer where they were working fine.

PS no messages with 'get a new computer' etc...i use this computer for my abandonware gaming, coz they don't run on my up2date comp.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums darklightBoy....:D

These older machines were quite particular when it came to memory. There was parity, non parity, standard, edo, single sided and double sided and who knows what else.

Sometimes mixing and matching just doesn't work.

Try the new sticks alone and see if it works.

You may also need to clear the CMOS by removing the battery overnight.

Put the added ram in then put the battery back in.....:winkgrin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx 4 the welcome.

trying the sticks by themselves produced the following message:

"CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR - Defaults Loaded"

as a result my computer completely failed to function until i put the original card back in by itself, and mind you, i had to reset my bios settings...

S

·
0 Posts
When you put the new ram in and got the message "CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR - Defaults Loaded"

Did you try to reboot afterwards by pressing control alt delete or pressing the reset button?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Most older systems didn't allow you to have different MB Ratings, it was either all 4 or 8 or 2 or whatever. :(

But the error definitely sounds like it caused your board some unnecessary trauma, putting in incompatible memory should not have blanked the bios, it sounds like you ground out the capacitor providing the power storing the bios information separate of the battery, are you sure the chips are in working condition?, also are they silver or gold pin connectors?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.