Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I installed my new 2.4GHz CPU the other day I couldn't get it to work. So I reformatted my computer and got it to work. Well then all my games started to crash to desktop so I couldn't really play them. Mozilla and Internet Explorer were also crashing a lot too. I asked a friend and he said it was because the bad RAM I have. At the time I had a 256MB stick and a 512MB stick that worked fine with the old CPU.

So I took the 256MB stick out and the computer started working just fine and dandy. So I shut the computer down and took out the 512MB stick and put the 256MB stick in. Everything was running just fine with it, but if I put both of the ram sticks in my computer it doesn't even start up or games just crash all the time. Not quite sure what is wrong because both of the ram sticks worked fine together with the old CPU.

So I tried buying the same exact ram I have in my computer already. It's the same model number and manufacture. Same speed and size. Same everything. Now my monitor doesn't come on with the computer. It says please check signal and doesn't do anything. I know the monitor is connected and I know the monitor is working because I'm posting this. I removed my old ram and left the new one in there to get the computer working to post this. The new ram seems to work just fine.

Sometimes it registers the monitor now and is stuck at the emachines logo screen. It just sits there doing nothing no matter how long I wait. I've checked both ram with memory testers and there both fine. The computer runs fine with one of them installed, but when I put both of them in it stops working.Also the computer gets an error saying <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupted when I try to put both of them in somtimes. Computer still runs fine with just one of them installed at a time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If the computer stops at POST then it MUST be hardware related seeing as not even the MBR was located yet.
My first assumption would be to check your PSU because your RAM needs power as well.

Also could you post your current system specs with your new ones as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40ghz
512MB RAM
Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 256MB
40GB harddrive
400 watt power supply

How would I tell the wattage my computer needs?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure if my video card if AGP or not but my power supply doesn't have that 18A on the +12V rail. In my BIOS there is no options for ram.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Tell me what motherboard you're using and I can tell you if you're running AGP or PCI-E. Unless it's a PCI card... For an AGP card your PSU has to be capable of 18A on the +12V rail to be stable, while PCI-E requires 26A. Generally any system should be using a PSU with at least 18A on the +12V. Try borrowing a quality unit capable of the that output, plug it into your PC and see if your problem goes away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.